BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

My 2000 330d touring let go recently and I'm told the inlet manifold failed. It's a hefty price tag to put this right, but my question is why did it happen? Is there a common/known engine issue with the M57 - should I suspect something more sinister? Or, as the car has done 111K miles, is this routine wear and tear?

Appreciate any advice.

Thanks,

X36 JGM

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure - car is with a dealer right now - the inlet manifold is cracked, that's all I know.

Do you know what the common reasons are for this type of problem? My big worry is that I get the thing replaced, only then to find the cause remains somewhere else, leading to much greater cost!

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know. Thing is, I've had it 5 years and know the full history (full BMW dealer service history). Kind of reluctant to jump ship... if it is just a replacement of the inlet manifold I can go with that. I suppose I was hoping someone on the forum might know the likelihood that a manifold failure suggests a deeper problem - probably a long shot....
Even the garage is telling me its a gamble!

·
Registered
150 Posts
When you say hefty price???

I recently did mine with a second hand one for £150 took me 2-3 hours to replace, a new one from my local dealer was £260 ish + Vat but they didn't have stock

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Inlet manifold is part of the fuel preparation system IIRC. The E46 & E39 3.0d models have a tendancy to have major issues with their fuel related systems. Not sure if there were any recalls but a family friend at Sytners who looks after some of our BMWs mentioned it when we discussed the proposed purchase of an E39 530d. (He said that some cars easily cost about £2K to put right).

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Some BMW diesels do have problems with the inlet manifolds splitting, :frown

Also some have problems with "A" or "the" swirl flaps coming adrift of their fixings and dropping into the engine, causing ££££ worth of damage, the 330d e46 M57 only had swirl flaps on the automatics, :frown, so it may be either of these problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What sort of symtoms were you getting when you noticed the manifold had split? I also have a e46 330d Auto- this means i do have the swirl flaps right? is there a definitive way of telling you have the flaps for sure without removing the manifold?

·
Registered
116 Posts
if you have a automatic then yes you do have the swirl flaps fitted, the manifold has to come off to actually see them too. i was quoted £430 to do the job of removing them. as of yet i havent been able to afford this so am driving with a lot of HOPE, i just feel its a real shame that we BMW owners have to live with this worry, im driving a 330d sport auto with 71 k

·
Registered
97 Posts
if you have a automatic then yes you do have the swirl flaps fitted, the manifold has to come off to actually see them too. i was quoted £430 to do the job of removing them. as of yet i havent been able to afford this so am driving with a lot of HOPE, i just feel its a real shame that we BMW owners have to live with this worry, im driving a 330d sport auto with 71 k
You could DIY remove them. I did mine a couple of weeks back. All you need is a socket set and some Alen keys. Very straightforward, even if you are not a mechanic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.