BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says looking to upgrade the lot.
nearly all of my previous cars have had a huge install but i think i want to keep this one lowkey.

headunit around £200 mp3 and usb(any ideas)
and then customfit speakers(sizes and recomendations)unsure budget for these.

prefer not to have to install an amp but if needed iv still got a very good but old 4 channel and sub 2 channel.

not to sure if i want to go down the line of a sub box so if i could get decent custom`s with good bass id be happy with that.

cheers
ps iv delt with caraudosecurity loads of times so if you`ve bought off htem for your car id be greatfull for advice on equipment

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
First thing to do is figure out the door speakers. The only drop in replacements are the Rainbow E46 custom fits, and you are looking at 165E ish for those. The speaker mounts are 3 fixings at non-standard angles and the space for a magnet is very low unless you want to cut a large hole in the metal inner door skin, which is reputed to improve mid-bass even on the stock speakers. There are photo DIYs if you google.

Autoleads do a 6.5in to 5 1/4in adaptor, if you can find a low profile speaker.

For HU, consider a 65900410495 Centre DIN bracket £55.54 $92.76 . It looks so much better. Google images will show the offset look.

For a HU, consider a Sony 1-wire (if you live in an area where car thefts are a problem Sony are less likely to get pinched and they are well built) or Alpine IDA-X305, esp with the centre DIN adaptor.

Whatever HU you chose, get down to Halfords and give the buttons a good jabbing. Whilst the Clarions, Kenwoods and Parrots of this world have great spec for the price, they are let down by cheap creaky plastics.

Connects2 will sell you a wheel remote and harness adaptor, cheaper from eBay used.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks ill maybe take a door card off and see whats available.

what`s the spaces like for the rears?
iv not managed to actaully see where they are yet.
i forgot the battery was in the boot so might go down the line of a amp to power them alot less wiring lol
seen the alpine one cde 126bt looked pretty good although im a kenwood man through and through maybe a time to change

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Fonts and rears are the same speakers I think, with a tweeter too in an oval shaped housing. I think you can get a 6:9 adaptor for the rears. Again Google images will be a great help. As for space for a magnet there is plenty in the rear.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok hope to get credit card payed back off very soon so will have around 1k to spend on the whole lot

so would that be a good enough starting bench to get something pretty decent sound wise?

and is there any need for a bassbox if the rear shelf ones are bassest enough or am i better just firing one in?

iv still got kenwood amp`s iv used in most of my previous cars and still stand the test of time.
one`s a 4 channel(will get number tomorrow)
other one is a 2 channel sub one(same as above)
so id probably save alittle bit on having to buy them.
i know it depends on the power outputs so ill have to dig them out the garage see what model they are,

also saw in a local stereo retailer they sold adapter plates to run 13cm speakers in the doors,but im guesisng its still down tot the depth of the speakers that dictates what fits,
http://www.raysmith.co.uk/cdt-audio-cl-e51-neo-slim-140w-rms-6-5-component-car-speakers.html
i know they seem rather expencive but could i go deeper than them?

thanks
mike

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok been shopping around and from local supplier they mentioned the following

I think your vehicle is classed as an E46 in which case there is a really good set of front components available by Rainbow, we have fitted and supplied lots of these and they really are good especially if you couple them with an amp, these will take care of the front as for the back I would leave them standard as you are just going to use them as a fill in sound.

If you do want more bass in the car then yes a sub would definitley be the best and from experience the vibe sub and amp packages are quality product and not too expensive either

I will include links to the products for you but if you want to change the radio what features would you want it to include?.

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/rainbow-iq-line-car-speaker-system-custom-fit-your-car-2.html

http://www.raysmith.co.uk/blackair-vented-12-in-custom-made-original-box-with-built-in-amplifier.html

then when i mentioned id probably want rears(hasnt got back to what to put in yet)i recieved this email
This 4 ch amp will be more than enough http://www.raysmith.co.uk/hertz-he4-high-power-stereo-car-amplifier-800w.html

There is also a 2 ch for £99.99 if you are not going to change the rears

I would recommend this radio http://www.raysmith.co.uk/clarion-cz500e-car-radio-cd-mp3-wma-receiver.html
This is also available in Amber to match the vehicles illumination.

You will need a facia adaptor wiring harness and poss steering control adaptor if you want to use them with your new stereo but maximum for these would be £90 or if you dont want steering controls £50

i kno will shop around for prices(even thought they are local)but does this set-up sound any good??
last thing i want is to buy something and find out it`s not THAT great.
many thanks

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
i paid arround £180 for my rainbows and they sound very good, both amped and unapmed

i had them running through the HU with no amo for a few months till i got round to buying and instaling the amp, they sounded very good before but once ampes they are amasing

i would of said you could get the adpater with steering controls for more like £50

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i paid arround £180 for my rainbows and they sound very good, both amped and unapmed

i had them running through the HU with no amo for a few months till i got round to buying and instaling the amp, they sounded very good before but once ampes they are amasing

i would of said you could get the adpater with steering controls for more like £50
what did you have in there rears??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well unless i change my mind ill be getting the things iv been told to get,
only thing that might change is the HU but if it doesn the job why pay for a dearer one,

think ill go down the road of rainbow`s in the rear as well and 4 channel amp.

so its save time get credit card pay`d off then hit again.
thanks for all advise ill let you know how i get on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts