BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all

Just ran a diagnostic on my 2000 E46 330ci that has been running roughly of late and often going into "limp" mode, diagnosis is that some of the engine coils need replacing. This is the very first time that i have needed to replace to the coils on any of my BMW's.

I am not practical so will take it into the garage, BMW wanted £550!!!! now i do not really want to get my pants pulled down but can anyone advise how much 6 coils would cost.

I reckon it cannot be more than 1 hour labour and surely these coild cannot be much more than £30 each, i believe the OEM part if from Bremi.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
hello all

Just ran a diagnostic on my 2000 E46 330ci that has been running roughly of late and often going into "limp" mode, diagnosis is that some of the engine coils need replacing. This is the very first time that i have needed to replace to the coils on any of my BMW's.

I am not practical so will take it into the garage, BMW wanted £550!!!! now i do not really want to get my pants pulled down but can anyone advise how much 6 coils would cost.

I reckon it cannot be more than 1 hour labour and surely these coild cannot be much more than £30 each, i believe the OEM part if from Bremi.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

First of all mate, give ECP a call and get a quote for the coils- they do stock Bremi.

And too be honest, this is a job that you could do yourself and will take you an hour tops!!. takes us less than 30 mins to do.

You don't need any special tools at all..............10m Socket and rachet.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First of all mate, give ECP a call and get a quote for the coils- they do stock Bremi.
I would stay away from Bremi and get some Bosch ones...iirc, known problems with Bremi :shifty:

I am not practical so will take it into the garage, BMW wanted £550!!!!
The main reason why they charge that much, is because the coils from them are £70 each :eek

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, may look at getting the bosch ones because Bremi replacements are crap. Will have a look at that web site too.

Interestingly BMW refused to fit them even though they are the same as the ones they were sourcing, will prob get my local garage to do it or have apunt myself.

Cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can that be correct, a Bosch ignition (part number 413110180) coil for just £15.95 , BMW wanted Over £60 for equivalent Bremi part.... The Bosch replaement part is also meant to be much better...

Do BMW really rip off their customers by that much? I know they are expensive but by that much, I can get the Bremio part also for £23 each!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Do BMW really rip off their customers by that much?

Oh yes.................but not always the case, for expample........I needed a front wishbone and bush for my M3.......ECP's quoted me 130+vat for a genuine BMW part and then 40+ vat for the pair of lemforder bushes (just bushes, not the holders/eyelets)- all at trade price-

spoke to BMW, got the wishbone for 115 + vat, and a pair of bushes for 14+ vat at trade.

always pays to quotes from both sides of the borders.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts