BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know what symptoms this chucks up if its on its way out.

I recently had the O/S/F caliper seize on my whilst on the motorway. i had to drive a fair way to get it back and sorted so boiled my fluid and ruined my new discs and pads. i replaced discs pads front brake hoses both sides and gave the caliper a right good clean. Put it all back together and it was fine for another week (400 miles or so) until wednesday. Then again, motorway driving stuck on. caliper off and cleaned and whilst its tight it looks in good nick. i've got to replace it as i fecked the seal when i was putting it back together and i want to replace it anyway to see if it eliminates the prob.
My question is that afaik the master cylinder will split the braking front left/rear right and vice versa. my rears are fine though so i guess you can rule it out, however i have a friend with a 740 who had exactly the same probs as me, replaced his caliper and still had the same prob, ended up being the master cylinder.

does it sound feasible? sorry for the long post:hihi

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I would have the ABS codes read first to be on the safe side as I have heard of someone changing their caliper and hose as they had the same problems and it didn't cure it. (was ABS/traction control fault)

Otherwise did you pump the caliper piston out slightly and check the bore out under the gaiter?

·
Registered
3,632 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
when it went the second time i was over my brothers and he cleaned it and checked it all. he's a fully qualifiued Mech and said there was nothing out of the ordinary with it other than it being a little tight. I've got to get it changed anyway, so i'll put it in and get the codes read at the same time maybe.

could the abs lock a wheel up then if it thinks its not operating correctly etc?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
when it went the second time i was over my brothers and he cleaned it and checked it all. he's a fully qualifiued Mech and said there was nothing out of the ordinary with it other than it being a little tight. I've got to get it changed anyway, so i'll put it in and get the codes read at the same time maybe.

could the abs lock a wheel up then if it thinks its not operating correctly etc?
The traction control/ABS could cut in if the sensor was giving a spurious signal, as well as using the throttle to limit power it uses the ABS to quickly operate the brake on and off.

I would think you would notice it though but if you can get the codes read from your brother for free it's worth checking out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts