BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine is an early e46 with sat nav and harmon K upgrade. Recently the radio signal strength has al but disappeared; are there known weak areas to look at?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Two common failure points in the E46 :

- The diversity amp in the rear C pillar. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AV52&mospid=47644&btnr=65_0480&hg=65&fg=30 Item 2.
- The element itself - requires a new rear window.

Does the reception change when the rear window demister is on? If so then it's more likley the later.
Thanks. Mine is a convertible (should have put that in the heading sorry) - does any of your advice change in that case? It has the antenna on the nsr wing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
In that case, you will need to check the connections for the diversity cables HERE. You will also notice that there is a seperate amplifier for FM.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks - that is a really useful diagram - I did have a look in the boot at all the mass of electronics. It is also interesting to see shared components with the sat nav - as this has never worked on the car since I bought it.
I also see that the shared antenna amplifer was changed from 9/2001 - mine is a yr 2000 model so maybe there was an upgrade? Suspicions seem to be pointing towards this unit. Are there known faults to look for?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts