BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
basicly boys and girls, i have been experienecing a bit of steering play.

after investigation of all the joints, tie rods steering racks etc the mechanic said everything was fine. i also had powerflex bushes which cured most of the play but it still exists to a degree.

after speaking to the mechanic and doing some research, the only way to cure the car 100% is to fit new coilcovers and an anti role bar. :jaw-dropping

·
Banned
478 Posts
Sounds like a balljoint to me, in fact its a classic case of it. But perhaps the steering box is at fault as well, they can be adjusted on my e34 so i presume thats the case with yours....

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Sounds like a balljoint to me, in fact its a classic case of it. But perhaps the steering box is at fault as well, they can be adjusted on my e34 so i presume thats the case with yours....
No steering box on the e46 :thumbsup

Trusty rack and pinion :cool

How much play is in the steering wheel if you stand outside the car and reach through the open window and rock the steering wheel slightly side to side before the road wheels move?

(engine off)

·
Registered
185 Posts
If the car is stopped and you get out [you'd hardly be able to get out if it were moving! :duh] can you move the front wheel? Ive been told my car needs anti-roll bars and if you grab it and give it a wiggle you can make it move.

It also very notable over bumps where the wheel goes down quickly, like a pot hole or speed bumps, and you can kind of feel the looseness in the steering, like the wheels moving a bit even though the steering whhel hasnt.

My problem might be different to your though.

·
Registered
292 Posts
sounds like a knackered steering rack to me,drive in a straight line 50mph press the brake and it will twitch left or right my old e36 325i coupe did it i changed the rack problem solved

can you feel something strange through the steering wheel when the brakes are applied ?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I had a very similar problem with my steering a few weeks ago. I had the control arm bushes changed which improved it but I still had some play like what your experiencing. I fixed mine by replacing the front stabilizer drop link bars and I replaced my Michelin run flat tyres with some normal tyres and it completely fixed the problem. The drop links were only £17.90 each from GSF and took about 15 mins each side to replace, you will either need axle stands or 2 trolley jacks as you need to jack up the front suspension so the drop link can be replaced. Check out my thread on this problem http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/2003-e46-320d-steering-problem-on-touring-t8408/

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i found this on another forum, it sums up my problems i think

Quote:
Originally Posted by grafiksguy
I'm still struggling to find the cause of my bump steer. Replaced the coupling, tie rods, CA bushings, sway links and bracket bushings, 4-wheel alignment and still get an aggravating twitch/jerk of the steering wheel over uneven surfaces. No noises, clunks or other symptoms of suspension problems, and car tracks straight. I'm still confounded and frustrated.

First....you need to understand what causes bump steering....it took me a bit of time....but what happens is one side of the suspension travels too far up/down compared to the other side....which pulls on the tie rod and jerks the steering wheel.

To fix this problem...you need to tighten up your suspension...make it stiff...so it the difference between left and right suspension in travel is very min. I fixed it with my KW V1 coilovers. Keep in mind...a bit of bump steer is normal....but only if one wheel falls in a hole or goes over a bump and the other does not.

Your stock shocks are probably worn....or it could be your sway bars also.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sports steering wheel on E46 323Ci

Hi, I am new to this.

I have a 1999 (V reg) 323Ci with normal Big, Skinny, V shaped AirBag steering Wheel, I wanted to upgrade it to one of those M3 or M Sports (The ones on 325Ci's) steering wheel, but was told by BMW That it may not fit! :frown

Did anyone fit them? or does anyone know if it will fit?

Many thanks,

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi, I am new to this.

I have a 1999 (V reg) 323Ci with normal Big, Skinny, V shaped AirBag steering Wheel, I wanted to upgrade it to one of those M3 or M Sports (The ones on 325Ci's) steering wheel, but was told by BMW That it may not fit! :frown

Many thanks,
it wont fit, i have been down that road

be like me, work hard and save harder. by xmas am gonna have the car of my dreams :thumbsup

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hi, I am new to this.

Many thanks,
Been there, tried that. Gave up, bought the wheel with the buttons on it that is the same as the one i had. Plugged it in, bought the cables (£17 from bmw) and ta daaaa....sorted.

Anyway, back on subject, you have my attention as mine is doing everything that has been described in the last page or so. Skittish over bumps, generally un-inspiring really.
Do you get a very quiet, but feelable through the steering wheel "thud" when you shake the steering wheel from left to right?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Already have the powerflex bushes on the ftca and rear trailing arms, so i get the feeling that the arms may be shot. Someone said that the 3 series eats suspension top mounts like i eat cake, anyone else hear this?
(the suspension, not my cake eating ability...:))

1 - 18 of 18 Posts