BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Im quite new to bmw's, I own a 2000 ( x plate) 325 ci se coupe with 77,000miles. I just read a post that someone has noisey vanos??? Can any body explain what they are and are they easy to change& cost etc?

After watching a few clips on youtube it looks a common fault. So i just want to prepare incase my vanos fail( Whatever they are lol)

Thanks in advance:D

·
Banned
478 Posts
i dont believe it is a huge job to replace, but the vanos unit itself i believe is the largest expense... Vanos is basically variable valve timing...

here is some reading material on the vanos system...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VANOS

Reactions: dubz

·
Banned
576 Posts
At your mileage your seals were toast a long time ago. The OEM seals are made from Buna an innapropriate choice. Beisan Systems has seals made from Viton which last. Dr. VANOS has a blueprinted unit that uses the Beisan seals. BMW refuse to fix the well known problem even though seals fail in as little as 25,000 miles. VANOS 'rattle' is a dead give away and loss of bottom end power.

·
Banned
576 Posts
Probably not. Americans are anal and wory about stuff a lot more than Brits or Aussies do. For instance one guy posted that the seats in his BMW were giving him and his girlfried diarrhoea and no amout of ribbing could convince him otherwise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.