BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my coupe for three months now and my last E46 saloon was in 2002 but I don't seem to remember having so much trouble actually getting underneath it. I know I'm not the slim limbo dancer I once was, but I can't even get one arm under the coupe to reach the sump drain plug.
I've checked a few old posts on here, and the fact that the only jacking points available are the same ones that you put the axle stands under doesn't help.
To carry out an oil change I needed to get the car level so I bought a set of (extra wide) ramps to put the front wheels on. The front of the car hit the ramp well before the wheel did so a set of lead up ramps were purchased. This worked fine and I could just reach the diff bracket with my DIY trolley jack to jack up the back for axle stands. Unfortunately, there was no room to move the jack handle. Also the thought occured to me that if I did manage to get the rear wheels of the ground the car would probably roll off the ramps.:jaw-dropping So other than buying a two post lift, whats the answer? Or is a crash diet the only way to own a lowered BMW?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the concrete blocks are a good idea. The trolley jack looks good, I've got 80mm from the bottom of the plastic/rubber side jacking pint to the floor, so that jack would just clear it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a similar dilemma with mine when I got it. To do an intermediate oil change, I just used the jack that comes with the car to raise one side (front) enough to wedge a car ramp under the front wheel. Lower the jack,then repeat for the other side. You can then drive it up the ramps a bit further. Bit of a pain but it worked OK. I had mine on a slight gradient pointing downhill so that when on the ramps,it was virtually level. Chock the back wheels for extra piece of mind. Hope this helps mate...

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Get your self a scafold board or two, cut it into 8

put two bits on top of each other, put them in front of the wheels and run the car up on to them

You can get any trolley jack under it now:

i keep meaning to cut mine down lol

Also, if you are using ramps and you cant get the clearence, if you leave your scafold boards longer you can use two of them in front of the ramp to make the angle less

1 - 7 of 7 Posts