BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My E46 ABS and traction control has been playing up for ages now and i think i've found out why its not working but would appreciate any opinions or if you think its just my weird way of thinking

took my car out today (ABS light on, so no ABS or traction control) parked it up went in the petrol station to buy a car wash code went back into the car. started the car back up, light still on. moved it forward and turned the car off.

I moved it/started it up about 3-4 times moving forward in the queue, and everytime the ABS light failed to go off but when i started it up to drive out after having my car washed the ABS light went out.

and now I come to think about it, the longest period of my ABS working fine was during the 3 weeks with snow.

does anyone else think that water ingress could be helping here or do you think its just coincedence? i've heard of water ingress making things worse but never helping you out!:hihi

I can't get the rear sensors out to have a look at them (when i tried on the front i snapped one :mad)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read the fault codes myself using carsoft. i know its not a great system but it threw up some wheel speed sensors. then after the 3 weeks of snow it just says error 1, pump.
If its the pump i think i'll just leave it, look and sound expensive.

I don't like the idea of paying BMW £80 to tell me what else to buy. seems quite alot, £80 just for them to make me a shopping list, but think i might have to, or try a good indy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just did a scan today again with carsoft. lights not on so ABS and traction control working properly but i got these:

49 speed sensor fault rear left Or outlet valve, front right

17 speed sensor fault front left

148 CAN ERROR speed motor

seems strange that i would either have these 3 faults or none at all.
Also sometimes to get the alarm to work i have to open and slam the passenger side door, I always just put that down to a dodgy connection, could the wires for the ABS run in the same loom as the door open/close switch? if so does anyone know if there is a plug that is known to come loose?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The door lock problem won't be linked. That will be another seperate problem.

If you can get live data up on the ABS system then clear the fault codes and take the car for a drive and log/monitor the wheel speed sensors. See if any play up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts