BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all! this is a strange 1. i am a tech, but any ideas before i swap cars with the wife and faf around at work when i can get parts first!

W reg E46 323i. The engine warms up fine, and stays warm indicating correct thermostat operation. i do need to do the coolant level sensor (the usual orange light!). when the car is stationary, or very low revs, it is bitterly cold inside! Do the water pumps have a habit of going? Obviously i have checked the coolant level! Could this just be down to the sensor? Do they have electronic matrix water gates?

cheers for any help. :)

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Number 2 here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AM32&mospid=47638&btnr=64_0890&hg=64&fg=18 heater valve, check for voltage change at the plug when you change temp setting, also have a feel of the pipes.

Water pump impellers do come adrift, remove radiator car, hold revs up and see if water shoots out of small hole in rad neck.

If heater first blows hot when turned on then goes cold then it's a circulation problem. Will also be worth checking the system is bled correctly....

1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I would start at the heater valve as well. Also, can you just correct you vehicle details in your car spec. please? :thumbsup

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers chaps, ill prob have a play 2moro, ill check coolant movement first, then that valve. oh, and ill change my car spec to 323!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts