BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was recently travelling along the motorway when the turbo started whistling and the car took off on its own on full revs. there was white smoke bellowing out the back and the car continued revving at full when the keys were removed until eventually the car over heated and cut out.

is this problem the turbo has blown? how is the lowest cost way to check this?

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
Sounds like the turbo blew yes, did it stop because it overheated or because it sucked all the oil out if the sump (the billowing smoke) and the seized? Either way, that sounds pretty terminal to me. When they rev up on their own you have to physically stall them to stand much chance saving the motor.:frown

Check the oil level and that the engine still turns over before throwing anymore money at it, you might be lucky and it will just need another turbo and the intercooler and cats draining and cleaning, or maybe not....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
after getting home the following day the car started but blew out smoke and turbo whistles. i have got the turbo off but not sure how to check it. there was still oil in the engine and i'm not sure whether it overheated or not but the temperature gauge was on full.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I'm not sure if you can test the seals without stripping the turbo and then you'd have to replace them anyway :frown
Are the bearings fubarred too? :thumbsup

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
it turns round with no play but it pulls in and out with play im not good with diesel cars as mostly had petrol

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
it turns round with no play but it pulls in and out with play im not good with diesel cars as mostly had petrol
If it pulls in and out then you've too much end play in the bearings, imagine that movement when the turbos spooling up!
If you're looking to replace the Turbo then you'll have to follow Kevins advice in post #2.
Have you replaced the oil separator or had it replaced in your ownership of the car?:thumbsup

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If your engine was left revving its head off and you left it till it cut out of its own accord then I don't hold out much hope for your engine! :eek. You should have put the car in gear and stalled it by jamming your foot on the brake and then letting up the clutch quickly!

If the car overheated and then cut out(heat seized) then that really isn't good, you could easily at minimum be looking at a knackered headgasket now.. And that's providing you haven't killed anything else like the bottom end. :frown

I'm afraid the turbo could be the least of your worries. Hopefully the oil run out and the engine just stopped, but I'm not convinced. :frown

Also I've moved this to the E46 section. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no have not as only had the car 3 months before this happened. have had the car running but as i say the whistling is still there and the smoke is still there and the oil is black when i took the turbo off. the car has done 147000 miles and seemed fine til the day before this happened when the whistling started

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
a 2000 E46 - sell it for scrap mate - not worth repairing imo

·
Registered
832 Posts
has anyone actually had any proof of a remap killing an engine because i am sure the end and motecmike would beg to differ on that point
probably true. am thinking its probably cause of the mileage maybe, Has the car has regular services? loads of factors to why a turbo would blown. Remap maybe one cause but senario is different.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
probably true. am thinking its probably cause of the mileage maybe, Has the car has regular services? loads of factors to why a turbo would blown. Remap maybe one cause but senario is different.
I think we've already established why the turbo failed, crank case breather not been replaced:frown

1 - 16 of 16 Posts