BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I'm in a bit of a trouble. Going to give you as many detais as possible.

Lately my car has developed a flat spot around 2/2500RPM. ( been that way for weeks ).

Today i was drinving and suddenly it started to misfire (badly), enventually it stopped. ( it died completely ) i tried to start it but to no avail. I sood on the hard shoulder for 5 mins ( smoking a ciggy ) and give it another try ( i was now ready to call AA ) and it started normally!

Drove for 3 or 4 miles and everything seemed ok, i pushed a little bit and it died again, this time no misfire, just stopped! Again, did the same thing, smoke another one, crank it i here i go right home!

when i was parking, it stalled on me. same thing, wait 3 min crank it and parked it! ufff... crand it again give it some gas and it stalled after only 30 secs...

( in case you are wondering why did i bring it home, it is simple i do my own work on my cars and immediatly thought of injection pump...€€€!!! ).

Ok, started surfing the net in search for another causes and got some ideias.

First of all i ordered a BMW code reader from Ebay!
After some readind decided to go to the garage, and stared at it. Let's give it a go! started the car and hey presto! it's good! No really, it's working!

humm... Injection pump??? these Vp44 are prone the failure, but this time a dont think it is the culprite...

Could this be a relay? or fuel pump? maybe the engine is fuel starving...

Please, your thougts will be greatly appreciated!!!! Any inputs welcome.

As soon as i get the reader i will post errors if avaiable.

Oh! and no lights whatsoever... no MIL, no nothing.

HELP!

thanks
F

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your inputs.

A cam problem should be always present. And a Map problem will not afect idle, only on-boost performance ( or lack of it!)

A inline fuel pump seems a good starting point! I have thought of that. What about the relay that controls it? they are known for playing up on you...

Does'nt anyone had a problem like this before??? i'am i the first?

Been looking in foruns and haven't found anything like this!

Thanks

F

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
good find dd

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi dailydoggy,

English is not my first language so if i seemed rude i apologise.

When you said dodgy cam if thougth that you ment that a cam has in fault not the sensor related with it. sorry! But will check that ASAP!

Tha MAP problem that you describe makes sense when applied to petrol engines.

use as reference for your link:

http://www.aa1car.com/library/map_sensors.htm

I've had several (diesel ) cars in with MAP problems normally they don't do more than 2000rpms ( they won't boost! ). Old diesels don't rely of MAF's but on MAPs. Newer ones use MAF or even both for better emissons and power control.

Once again sorry if i seemed rude, all opinions are welcome since this is relly breaking my head!

best
F

1 - 7 of 7 Posts