BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a bmw 320d ive had for abit now it has 157k on clock has a reciept for headgasket and turbo 25k ago so im confused,sometimes it gets hot and when it does loses all power when i leave it for a minute or 2 its fine just to get it to a garage i have un done the bleed screw next to filler cap and its presure when i bleed system its fine for a few weeks also if sat on the spot with heater going it loses water from somewhere unsure where any help would be good cheers.

·
Registered
11 Posts
When you say losing water when the heater is on, have you checked the footwells of your car to see if it is damp there?

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Have you checked the rad cap O rings? the seals may have gone bad, otherwise get a coolant pressure test and headgasket test to alleviate any fears, if all good then the cooling system needs bleeding correctly.

1.Jack the front of the vehicle up onto stands as high as possible,
2.Turn the ignition on,engine off,heater on fan setting 1 and temperature fully hot,
3.Remove the rad cap/expansion cap,remove the bleed screw from the rad and IF you have them the bleed screw(s) from the thermostat housing/top hose, return pipe or EGR thermostat.
4.Fill the radiator up and keep pouring till there are no more air bubbles coming out from the bleeds, when good then install bleeds and tighten down(don't snap them),ensure the rubber O-rings/seals are still on the screws/on the bleed holes.
5.Suck some water out so it's not full to the brim, replace the cap and then start the car. Run her up and check for heat from the vents when warm and check if over heating still persists.
6.If good then check the water level again in the morning when cool.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Firstly, make sure your not topping it up with water, you should use boiled then cooled water or DI water. It should be with antifreeze in it in a 50/50 mix even in summer (water+antifreeze=coolent). The antifreeze lowers the boiling point of the coolent so that your engine runs above 100 Deg/C without boiling off, otherwise you would be constantly topping it up like it was a steam train.

Top tip.
If you really want your cooling system to work better, for longer, the next time you change your coolent, use De-ionised water you can buy it from halfords for topping up batteries or the cheap way si to freeze and then thaw 5 ltrs ice from your fridge =) this will stop it creating limescale inside the engine and increases the life of the pump and thermostat.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts