BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this whole modding business and have decided that I wanna spruce up my sluggish and smokey 320D and have a few hundred pounds to spend on her.

Looking for suggestions for what to do and where to get it done as I am a complete novice under the bonnet. I am based in the midlands in Leicester.

Cheers

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
TBH theres not much you can do to increase power other than a remap, which will be dependant on the condition of the engine.
Check out the forum approved tuners if you're interested in going down that route.

1st thing I'd advise you to is replace the Oil Separator, if you don't know when it was last done, as a clogged one can contribute to premature turbo failure.

Oh and of course welcome to the forums and BMW diesel ownership :thumbsup

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
TBH theres not much you can do to increase power other than a remap, which will be dependant on the condition of the engine.
Check out the forum approved tuners if you're interested in going down that route.

1st thing I'd advise you to is replace the Oil Separator, if you don't know when it was last done, as a clogged one can contribute to premature turbo failure.

Oh and of course welcome to the forums and BMW diesel ownership :thumbsup
Oh right yeh ive been suggested remaps from other people but not really sure what to do and how to go about finding somewhere who do them etc. Ill have a look at the forum tuners as suggested!

Another question, do remaps have to be declared with insurance provider?

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Oh right yeh ive been suggested remaps from other people but not really sure what to do and how to go about finding somewhere who do them etc. Ill have a look at the forum tuners as suggested!
1 is in Walsall, 1 in Brum, 1 in Northampton and 1 is in Kent but 3 of those are mobile? All come with rock solid reputations and kindly offer forum discounts :)
Another question, do remaps have to be declared with insurance provider?
Hmmmm you should always inform your insurance of any modifications :shifty: :sarcastic

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah right where abouts can I find there contact details to find out abit more info?

Haha I take that as Yeh you 'should' tell Insurance :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi. I take it you have done or know about swirl flaps? A defo before any upgrades. SlowTech's advice on oil breather is a must. Clean oil & filter. Fuel & air filter too.

Also how good is the handling of the car? Bushes & suspension all tight. Brakes?
Before you mod faster, I would make good / mod handling. Power is nothing with out control.

After the above, remap would be a good way of getting power gains.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi. I take it you have done or know about swirl flaps? A defo before any upgrades. SlowTech's advice on oil breather is a must. Clean oil & filter. Fuel & air filter too.

Also how good is the handling of the car? Bushes & suspension all tight. Brakes?
Before you mod faster, I would make good / mod handling. Power is nothing with out control.

After the above, remap would be a good way of getting power gains.
Yeh I read about the swirl flaps. Is the oil breather something I can get done at a garage as reading it sounds quite tricky?

The handling of the car is fine, had new brake pads, discs, tyres and full service when I bought it.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In no specific order other than what they are listed in the forums approved vendors section.
Motech Performance
Emaps
APtuning
Endtuning

I'm not sure how much you've got to spend on your motor but what about a nice set of alloys, rear back box, interior, coilovers etc etc :thumbsup
Well mate I am looking at 500 to spend initially, so along with remap ill have around 250-300 left for other bits and pieces!! Just been looking and going to remove the EGR valve and clean that up and replace the oil breather too :)

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Sounds like a plan :D imo theres been top advice offered to you so far and the only thing I can add is do all the engine/servicing work
prior to remapping that way you'll be safe in the knowledge that everything is in top condition before the remappers work their magic.

Hope you continue to post up your mods and upgrades for all to see :thumbsup

·
Registered
640 Posts
Actually there is another upgrade that it worth doing and that is a bigger intercooler from Allard motorsport and it comes with slimline fans. But that would nearly take all your budget, just something for you or other to think about for the future.
My contact details are on my signature if you want to contact myself. :thumbsup

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
A remap would make the largest difference, circa 50bhp+, any the next big tuning mod would be a diesel decat.

The decat sections cost approx 180 i think, although you may get a local exhaust place to make one up cheaper.
The EGRs can be at least partially blocked off, and in some cases completely blocked off, but there is the odd chance of the ECU spotting it and flagging up an error code.

Have a look on ebay, as there can be EGR removal kits that keep everything happy.
It'll be pushing your budget maybe, but there is no need to do everything at once.

One at a time, and then move on to the next when you get used to the power will keep it being fun.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the advice so far! Certainly given me food for thought!!

Found a guy on eBay selling the breather filter kit so thinking about purchasing that and next weekend getting the EGR cleaned up and breather changed as per L16YDL's guides!

Its gonna be my first attempt at anything under the bonnet so fingers crossed all goes well!

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Thanks for all the advice so far! Certainly given me food for thought!!

Found a guy on eBay selling the breather filter kit so thinking about purchasing that and next weekend getting the EGR cleaned up and breather changed as per L16YDL's guides!

Its gonna be my first attempt at anything under the bonnet so fingers crossed all goes well!
Just don't drop any nuts and bolts, and you'll be fine :thumbsup they have an amazing ability to disappear into the engine bay if you do :lol

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Gotta love a modded 320d :hihi

Remap and exhaust needed on mine as soon as money permits :cool
Remap and decat for me to soon I think :cool inquired not long ago at my local car dismantler's about getting a secondhand cat so I could open it up and remove the insides but they don't sell them :frown

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Just don't drop any nuts and bolts, and you'll be fine :thumbsup they have an amazing ability to disappear into the engine bay if you do :lol
Haha dont even say that as I know ill end up dropping something :mad

BTW what wheels you got on your car, they are sweet?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Haha dont even say that as I know ill end up dropping something :mad

BTW what wheels you got on your car, they are sweet?
Can get magnetic pic up tools that are great at retrieving stray bolts, basically a magnet on a telescopic shaft. :thumbsup

Cheers :) there 18inch MV2 style wheels:cool

1 - 20 of 37 Posts