BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
anyone know if they fit as i had a set of my m8 and my rear shocks are leaking i dont really need the fronts?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
No, they're well different - anything else will fit though, but I'd recommend you avoid any shocks from any Sport/M-Sport cars - too stiff for normal use.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have fitted the rears and it feels much better just havent had a chance to see if the front ones will fit does anyone know if they will?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Believe the fronts are different - larger diameter at the bottom - but I'm guessing you're gonna find out for yourself :thumbsup

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
il have a look as i said i had them off my m8 and my rears were leaking so the m3 rears are now on, do you think the rears will be ok or should i buy the right ones for my car?

·
Diamond BFuk Member
1,213 Posts
If the suspension isn't set up for the much firmer shocks then you could have problems, they may physically fit but bear in mind it's the shocks that keep the tyres on the road. You may not know there's a problem until it floats across the road on a bend.

·
Registered
501 Posts
If the suspension isn't set up for the much firmer shocks then you could have problems, they may physically fit but bear in mind it's the shocks that keep the tyres on the road. You may not know there's a problem until it floats across the road on a bend.
its the springs that keep the tyre on the road, the shock just smoothen the compression of the springs. the only difference they will make is the ride quality of your car, i.e soft, hard etc

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
The M3 rear shocks are firmer damping for sure, but essentially the same... I would leave them on personally if they are good and not causing any other issues. As already mentioned, the spring makes the car stiffer not the shock...:thumbsup

I do not think that the front shocks fit easily though, the mountings make the geometry different, if you wanted to, I think that you can interchange them, but it's quite a lot of bits/expense to swap over...;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
its the springs that keep the tyre on the road, the shock just smoothen the compression of the springs. the only difference they will make is the ride quality of your car, i.e soft, hard etc
thanks m8 ive kept my old springs and the rear feels much better with them on

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The M3 rear shocks are firmer damping for sure, but essentially the same... I would leave them on personally if they are good and not causing any other issues. As already mentioned, the spring makes the car stiffer not the shock...:thumbsup

I do not think that the front shocks fit easily though, the mountings make the geometry different, if you wanted to, I think that you can interchange them, but it's quite a lot of bits/expense to swap over...;)
thanks m8 i had them cheap i only needed the back as mine was leaking so i think il keep them on for now and sell the fronts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts