BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have just purchased a E46 318i SE 1.9 on a X reg.

Was just looking on parkers and parkers show that there are two versions of the 318i SE one is upto 01 and the other which is 01 onwards.

Upto 01 are 118bhp and 35mpg
01 onwards are 140bhp and 38mpg

This is what i mean http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Summary.aspx?model=96 (98) and (01)

What changed on 01? is it a different engine or anything else mechanical? Or is it down to the ecu? If it is the ecu can i fit the 01 model? to give me the extra bhp and mpg?

·
Registered
15 Posts
I *think* there was a change in engine from 8 to 16 valve between 2000 & 2001.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thanks.

How would i tell what version mine is?

Yours is the M43TU 194E1 engine, the 8 valve version.............the other is the N series engine...........all the early E46 316/318's had the M43TU.

If you want to double check....then the engine code will be stamped on the chasis plate in the engine bay- it would say something like 194E1- that is the 8 valave engine...........aslo if the other easy thing to do is just have a quick butchers at the inlet manifoild- if its black plastic, which I think it will be given the year of your car, then its the 8 valve...........the n- series engines all had metal inlet manifolds.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.