BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 E46 318i thump noise

5K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  e46318ise 
#1 ·
Hi i have a little thump noise coming from the rear when i select gear when im stationery and in 1,2,3 gears while driving i know people go on about the rear bushes but will they make the thump even when stationery?

#3 ·
hey jony.

i'm going to be watching this thread as its exactly the same as mine, although mine does it when in motion too.

just to let ppl know, mine has got the dreaded sub frame tear, as ive had it up on ramps and there is no sign of this.

btw jony have you checked the rear subframe, around the mounts for sign of tearing?

#9 ·
It will be either the;
Propshaft coupling to gearbox (donut) sometimes causes vibrations two but mine went and had no vibration.

Differential mounts gone.

Subframe mounts.

Still will make a thud when stationary when putting in gear, because the imput shaft of the gear box will be spinning in neutral, then you depress the clutch and engage gear the momentum of the imput shaft will travel through the gear box to the propshaft and cause the thump :thumbsup

Will need to jack the car up and have a look at the condition of the verious components mentioned

HTH

#20 ·
for 2 days the mrs kept saying "there is something wrong with the rear suspension on my car - it's knocking when i start and stop" .............. test drive and yes i can hear it - oh fek - more money going out the door.

open boot - big can of de-icer rolling about :mad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.