BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i have a little thump noise coming from the rear when i select gear when im stationery and in 1,2,3 gears while driving i know people go on about the rear bushes but will they make the thump even when stationery?

·
Registered
145 Posts
hey jony.

i'm going to be watching this thread as its exactly the same as mine, although mine does it when in motion too.

just to let ppl know, mine has got the dreaded sub frame tear, as ive had it up on ramps and there is no sign of this.

btw jony have you checked the rear subframe, around the mounts for sign of tearing?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah ive check nothing wrong,mine does it when its moving aswell the first thing im going to change is the donut

·
Registered
145 Posts
mines a 1999 318 saloon. ooooo spooky.

what colour is yours and is there any lights on yours, fault codes?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Hi i have a little thump noise coming from the rear when i select gear when im stationery and in 1,2,3 gears while driving i know people go on about the rear bushes but will they make the thump even when stationery?
It will be either the;
Propshaft coupling to gearbox (donut) sometimes causes vibrations two but mine went and had no vibration.

Differential mounts gone.

Subframe mounts.

Still will make a thud when stationary when putting in gear, because the imput shaft of the gear box will be spinning in neutral, then you depress the clutch and engage gear the momentum of the imput shaft will travel through the gear box to the propshaft and cause the thump :thumbsup

Will need to jack the car up and have a look at the condition of the verious components mentioned

HTH

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Yep, was quite a pronounced one if you let the clutch out fast or came off and on the accelerator quickly. Could see why when I got the old donut off it was shagged.

Like I say need to have a look before ordering anything:thumbsup

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i can see some splits in the donut but i dont think there bad enough to cause the thud,how bad was yours when looking at it when it was on the car

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi , guess what, ??? I've got a 1999 318i e46 and mine does the same , haha
I've just bought the car a month ago and with all the snow up here I've not had a chance to check it out properly, I will be watching this thread with loads of interest, ;)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
for 2 days the mrs kept saying "there is something wrong with the rear suspension on my car - it's knocking when i start and stop" .............. test drive and yes i can hear it - oh fek - more money going out the door.

open boot - big can of de-icer rolling about :mad

1 - 20 of 22 Posts