BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi, I've just bought a 318ise and just gave a check over, the oil was on the min mark on the dipstick, had a look in the filler on the rocker cover and it was Reilly thick, engine is real quiet and runs fine with no smoke or nowt,

I've topped it up to just under the max mark and it looks a lot better, I will do a filter and oil change during the week, and another in a month or so,

Will all be ok in the head, cam, and will the spray bar(s) be blocked,

Thanks in advance for any info

·
Registered
320 Posts
If its not noisy then you could assume its ok, however I would probably recommend a flushing agent to break the thick oil up and change it with the recommended oil for BMW engines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool , what could have caused the oil to get that thick??
Could oil have cooked/overheated ???

·
Registered
363 Posts
some times if they are not serviced regular can cause prob my daughter bought car
like that. i cleaned it all up took rocker cover off when i started it up after wards
it sounded like a tin of nails rattling around ended up with new camshaft the oil was
that thick i had to use scrapper to get i all out.
keith

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oil consistency is a lot better now, and started it up this morning and there was no funny noise or rattles, car runs smooth, will change oil and filter this week ,

If the oil wasn't changed, why do people not just change there oil ?? It takes half an hour, I had 2 Nissan s14a and a STI before the BMW and did plenty of oil changes due to them being turbo and it a half an hour job :confused

Some people , lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts