BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,

I have recently purchased a 2000 W plate 318ci which has done a meesly 185000miles. 1 owner from new and he described it as the "longest and best relationship he has ever had!!:D" Overall iam very pleased with what i have bought and have spent a few quid on it to bring it up to scratch. I did an oil change on it over the weekend with some Castrol Edge 5w 40 and all is good.
The only thing i have noticed is that on the odd occassion a slight clicking noise has appeared once warmed up at the back and bottom of the engine? I have no sounds on cold start up or for the majority a very silent engine. It's just this clicking/ticking sound that is eating away at my brain that is a problem. I know my way around engines and BMW's and this is not an 'offensive' sound but more of a annoying one. I believe there is a slight leak from the sensor on the exhaust directly under the drivers seat and this clicking is from that area but by no means the source. so just to clarify a occassional clicking/ticking noise from the bottom rear of the engine, after warm up, and not every day. only do short journeys to work and back 5miles. Any Ideas please:thumbsup

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
As it's a higher mileage engine it's component tolerances will have opened up slightly, as the oil heats up it becomes less viscous allowing some components to tick. An old trick to quieten down high mileage engines is to try a slightly thicker oil, perhaps 10w40.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that. I will see how things go over the next couple of weeks and go from there. Thanks again for your reply.:D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts