BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, its been a while since I posted but my 2000 e46 auto has had the orange emissions light on for the past few months and ive been ignoring it. The light wont clear with my peake tool.

Basically there were no codes being read by my peake tool at the time and three different indy mechanics couldnt find the problem. The car recently started to judder and idle really rough. It would stall when at a stop.

I re-read the codes and both the lambdas were gone. I had these replaced with costly oem parts from eurocarparts yesterday and the car is back up and running. when over 1000 revs the car runs much better and feels faster. The stalling has also stopped. The issue is the car still seems to struggle at idle speeds and there is a strange whirring sound that goes up and down. I opened the bonnet and there is a Diesel like rattle (very faint rattle).

It has 94k on the clock and its a bit of a banger but it's becoming a money pit so im not sure what to do now.

I have changed the maf (disconnecting makes no difference), cleaned the icv, cleaned the tb and replaced a split hose from the secondary air pump. I have checked the crank case breather pipe and it was clearly much newer than the the car. There was a bmw sticker on it which seems less than a couple of years old. There are also no other splits me or my mechanics could detect.

There are now no codes again on my peake tool but at idle the needle judders slightly and it isnt as stable as it should be. The revs also sometimes drop for no reason at speed.

Could anyone give me an idea of what it could be like the disa or ccv?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
320 Posts
How much vacuum is on the oil filler cap if you undo it and lift it up (not all the way or oil will go everywhere) when the engine is running..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much vacuum is on the oil filler cap if you undo it and lift it up (not all the way or oil will go everywhere) when the engine is running..
Thanks, I tried this earlier but the cap seemed quite jammed on, ill try again when I have some more time and ill post an update.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just checked the vacuum from the oil filler cap. The engine note changes as I lift off the cap, it's maybe a bit higher pitched. The vacuum isnt that strong, it's like a small handheld vacuum cleaner, the cap is fairly easy to remove once unscrewed. Is that normal?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts