BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if this conversion has been done before? I've got the opportunity to carry out an engine conversion, and this would be my preferred engine.

Anybody know of what would be involved other than custom engine mounts? Would anything in the engine bay need relocating?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Er excuse my ignorance but does not a RB26DETT belong to a Nissan Skyline? - and not only that is the 2.6 twin turbo engine version you have there which is the one fitted to the GTR model. As you would have to declare this to the insurance company will you not be better off buying a Skyline? That is a race bred engine therefore I do not think that a 1.8 model running gear will be able to cope with the power anyway, gearbox would probably give way first and diff soon after. But then i am no expert.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lol you're quite right it is a skyline engine. I would imagine the gearbox would blow immediately so would need to be replaced with the engine.

The reason I want to put it in to a 318 shell is because I want a street sleeper, if you roll up in an R34 of course everyone knows what engine you're running. I want to do something different rather than an M3 engine etc.

Yes, I'd have to declare it to the insurance company, as if I do have a crash i'm going to have a hard time explaining why there is a 2.6 lump under the bonnet.

I understand it's a big ask, but merely was wondering if anyone has tried it?

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ah right now i get where you are going with this - now that would be a project and a half !!! - I suppose the only stuff that could handle that sort of power would be 328i running gear which I would assume would fit the body of your existing car but how you would marry up the box to the engine I dunno. Maybe easier to get an engine and box transfer and then go from there. Will be interesting to see how you get on...sorry I could not be of any technical help.

·
Registered
493 Posts
i have dreams about this. :D bear in mind that the sub frames in the e46 are dreadful so you would need to reinforce it. and you would need to swap the diff and tranny, theres nothing worse than having a nice motor like the rb26 and running it with an open differential like the one in the non-m e46's. post pics if you do this id love to know how it turns out.

·
Registered
194 Posts
hi mate. that is one hell of a quest yor setting off on. but awesome idea:thumbsup
I dont know much about the e46 myself.
But I seen similar things to this done my some crazy lads from Vietnam. They put 2JZ lumps into e36's. But what they do is (going off the memory) use the supra engine, box, and whole rear axel and then a skyline prop. The supra rear axel is slightly wider then the e36 so some blow out the arches.
I would think that the 26dett would slot into the enigine bay of yor e46 nicely but you would have to fiddle about with the gear link.
I will try and dig some stuff out if I can help.
But good luck mate and would be good to see some photos of the mad beast of a car :thumbsup

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.