BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this question might sound daft but i always check my oil level when the engine is cold, i found out in my handbook that its best to check when engine is up to temp and oil has settled, i checked my oil level last night when warm and it was nearly up to max, but when i checked it cold it is nearly on minimum, which way gives the most accurate reading as my oil light has stopped working and i need to know what is best so i dont let the oil go low, any help would be appreciated

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i am getting mixed results though, if i check it from cold its near minimum but if i check it after the engine has been up to temp and i have left it to settle for a while the oil is near to the maximum so which one should i go off?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the minimum mark, they were both on level ground near the minimum when cold and near max when warm

·
Registered
11 Posts
Fill up with 0.25 litre and see if has reached max point next time you do a check. Between MAX and MIN on the dipstick is 1 litre of oil, so I have assumed you are a 1/4 down from max..correct?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
I had this with mine,

If you check the oil level when the engine is cold, the oil level is just bellow the min (bottom mark) level

But if you check it when its warm, (or cooling) it is just below the top mark

it should be checked when the car is up to opperating temp, (9 o'clock on temp gauge) on the flat

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
so i dont need to worry that it is low when cold then aslong as its fine when warm?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
thanks for the help, why does it show that ur oil is low when the engine is cold does anybody know?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
thanks for the help, why does it show that ur oil is low when the engine is cold does anybody know?
Because like any substance: gas, liquid or solid

When it heats up it expands, So it will appear like the oil level has changed

But this is correct and nothing to worry about, only if the oil level is low when warm you hsould worry :thumbsup

·
Registered
130 Posts
Am I the only one who thinks the design of the dipstick is a bit shit.
It can be be really difficult to see the marks on the plastic. Much prefer metal ones.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
not that crap from the minimum to the max mark on the dipstick and when the low oil level sensor light comes on is exactly a 1 litre top up bottle of oil to max again...

clever BMW are...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd be looking at getting my oil light working again,Brother-in-law blew his engine on his Golf GTI when he knew the oil light on the dash was inoperative Ouch !! Car Written Off.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts