BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, When i first start my car there is a weird ticking noise coming from the engine which ticks faster when i speed up. but once the car is warmed up it goes. it is due a service soon though. any1 had the same prob or got any advice on what it could be? scott

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
what type of bmw is it could be the hydraulic tappets an oil change would help they might be a bit worn though depending on how much mileage you have done

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi guys, When i first start my car there is a weird ticking noise coming from the engine which ticks faster when i speed up. but once the car is warmed up it goes. it is due a service soon though. any1 had the same prob or got any advice on what it could be? scott

First of all mate..........as others have suggested you need to check the oil level, even if the warning light is not on.

if the level is ok and you say that the noise goes away when warmed up then you have an issue with the oil that is in the car.

Whats happening is that when the car is cold, the oil is thicker and that ticking noise you are getting is the tappets- the thicker oil is not getting through to the tappets..............when the car is warmed up the oil is thinner- therfore is able to pass easily through the oil ways in the tappets hence quitening them down.

Do u know which grade of oil is in the car?

we see this quite alot on the 316's and 318's with the early 1.9 engines that come into us.......we remedy this by switching the oil over to a fully synthetic (5w/40)

trust me........this works.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah ok will check oil level on sat and poss swap to different type when i put it in for service. thanks alot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts