BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Lots of infomation of MAF's online, however I still have a query..

My car was not running correctly, not pulling through the revs very well at all. Also fuel consumption had dipped a little.

I disconnected the MAF and low and behold the car run so much better! Result! I purchased some MAF cleaner and gave it a good clean and let it dry properly before refitting. Sadly, after reconnecting the MAF I still have the same problems :confused

So, before I go and splash the cash on a new MAF, is there anything else I should be aware of? Don't mind splashing the cash on a new MAF so long as that sorts it!

Cheers,

Phil

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool! Sounds like a job for a garage rather than myself!

Is this a needle in a haystack type job or will a decent garage get to the bottom of this pretty quickly?

Thanks for the reply.

Phil

·
Registered
653 Posts
How did you clean the MAF? Did you just spray it with the cleaner?

I have done mine a number of times, and used ear buds (q tips etc) and very gently ran them over the MAF, I have done it in the past using a small artists paint brush, but that seems to leave a film on the sensor. Using the ear buds cleaned it to a mirror finish!!!

Hope that helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I purchased some LiquiMoly MAF cleaner and just squirted the element.

Incidently, my MPG has improved slightly but the car still feels strangled when going through the revs.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just spraying it on prob won't shift any crap thats on there mate! Get an ear but in there (spray with cleaner, get the bud in and push and pull) you can see when the surface of the sensor is nice and clean. Worked a treat on mine!

·
Registered
47 Posts
had same prob changed the maf and its was as new for 6 months now its worse it stalls.had the engine light on though.air leaks are difficult to spot but its a must to check...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts