BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guy i have this car for a few months now the other day i had my mot done but was told i have to change one rear tyre has it was worn in the inside of the type. but since then the Car feels unstable the Rear end feels loose when turning at speed. steering feel can change easily, one minute its tight and then feels very loose. It like i got no control at speed of even 30mph it like the rear end runing away from me. could this be from both new rear types which were the cheaper one.

since having the car i have changed

the rear Springs changed.

have had Wheel alignment altho this was done a month ago before i changed the tyres need to be done again as it pull to the left very little bit.

i have had Suspension Arm (Front) changed was told rear dont need to be done.

what i want to know is what make the Car feels unstable the Rear end feels loose and feel like i am going to spin the car.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like you need to check your rear trailing arm bushes(RTAB's) and may also want to check the rear anti-roll bar bushes too but I would put my money on RTAB's

·
Registered
1 Posts
Unstable Steering

Hi There,

I am having the exact same problem with my 2004 E46 318i. It feels like the back wheels are slipping around when I drive at speed. I actually had an accident because of this and my insurers fixed the car but the steering is still the same. Every time I go over small bumps my car jerks a little in the direction of the bump.. i.e/ if my front left wheel hits a bump it jerks slightly left or vice versa with the right. I have had the wheels fully balanced which has improved it slightly but the feeling of instability is still there. Can anyone help??? I have read a few things that have talked about the possibility of it being a steering rack or bent rims??? Anyone have experience with this. I'd appreciate your help. What do the RTAB's do?

·
Registered
73 Posts
can anybody add to this ? ive changed my rear ratbs but when i go over a pot hole the car skips and is unstable at the rear.

its alot worse when its wet.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Are the tyres on the front different to those on the rear (different brand/model)? My old E46 was super sensitive to this, and I've a feeling my E92 is too (to a lesser extent).

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
ide say this is tyre related and the most obvious myself especially on an E46 which are rear wheel drive and twitchy with tyres anyway.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
im having this problem aswell. My tyres are matched bridgestone ponzas, and last tyres where budgets and it still had the same problem.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Ok... Alignment all good? The Bridgestone's are a reputable make so providing they're the right size shouldn't be the problem. Are the wheels standard (or at least the correct width/offset)?

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
can anybody add to this ? ive changed my rear ratbs but when i go over a pot hole the car skips and is unstable at the rear.

its alot worse when its wet.
How many miles has it done?

Are the rear shocks good? And rear subframe bushes good? (the front pair)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
yes tyres need to be good and matching on these I fitted 4 vredstein ultracs and it's transformed mine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
hi-i have a 2001 316 manual and my gosh does it feel unstable or what. it drives smoothely but when i hit humps it just sways left or right. i tend to be more careful when on uneven surfaces but this should not be.i mean we talking about german engineering.

recently it has been making noises like something has fallen off from underneath and rear wheels making whisle noises louder with speed. But the cranking noises more recently as of today -the car has started to bounce as if one of my tryres is flat all coming from the left side underside of the car.mechanic has just had a quick feel and says maybe brake pads etc.just driving back home again the sound of metal snapping and all the whisling is making me crazy..oil light comes on briefly and sometimes abs light but not regularly.

I feel like i am now driving a horror film of my own. Anyone with these experiences please help-i am really scared of my bima..

·
Registered
73 Posts
hi-i have a 2001 316 manual and my gosh does it feel unstable or what. it drives smoothely but when i hit humps it just sways left or right. i tend to be more careful when on uneven surfaces but this should not be.i mean we talking about german engineering.

recently it has been making noises like something has fallen off from underneath and rear wheels making whisle noises louder with speed. But the cranking noises more recently as of today -the car has started to bounce as if one of my tryres is flat all coming from the left side underside of the car.mechanic has just had a quick feel and says maybe brake pads etc.just driving back home again the sound of metal snapping and all the whisling is making me crazy..oil light comes on briefly and sometimes abs light but not regularly.

I feel like i am now driving a horror film of my own. Anyone with these experiences please help-i am really scared of my bima..
first you need to check your rear trailing arm bushes, it could be the unstable cause and would defo explain the knocking noises. the cracking noise could be a shock but i had the same problem and it turned out to be the upper arm bush on the rear hub.

Oil light is a concern , you need to get it plugged in to a diagnostics.

Theres a good deal on ebay for GT1 software and cable, around 25 quid. so you could do it yourself.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts