BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2000 x reg 318 coupe (e46), it has developed an oil leak somewere and I can not find it.

I took it to the garage and they found a small leak on an oil tube which was fixed, 2 days later it started again, I then took it back to the garage and they said the breather pipe was blocked and they replaced that.

After another 2 days I was driving to work when I smelt a burning rubber smell through the heater when car was stopped and up to temp. I thought it was excess oil burning off then moments later smoke started coming through the vents with the same smell. I have checked the VCG for any signs of oil and there isnt. The leak is coming somewere from the drivers side of the engine but I can not see anything that is leaking and as I have no ramps I can not get underneath.

Could someone please help out as to what components are located under that side of the engine that could leak oil as I am a new BMW owner and do not know much about them, any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
burning oil smell it will prolly be the rocker profile gasket leaking and it dribbles onto the exhaust manifold the oil filter housing is also a known trouble spot for leaking on the gasket too but that dosent create a smell and is on the other side of the engine..

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had a look at the rocker cover and there is no residue of oil around that area it only had a service around about 300 miles ago and the oil filter was replaced. Do you think it could be a cracked pipe due to the weather as it has been cold and the engine only gets an hours drive a day during the week

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i have looked in the engine bay there is no leak from anywhere at the top so it must be coming from underneath on the drivers side do you know what components are around that area that could be leaking oil?

·
Registered
501 Posts
oil filter housing gasket gets hard and brittle and leaks from there. 4quid for a new gasket from the dealers and about 2-2.5 hours of your times

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will speak with the garage when it goes back in and tell them it could be that as this will be the 3rd time back with the same problem apart from this time there is smoke coming into the car, they should do that for free with the warranty

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry if I sound a bit thick with the questions this is my first BMW and I aint all that clued up with them plus I am new to the forum

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
My wifes E46 1999 318i had an oil leak - turned out it was the oil filter housing gasket

Reactions: lee_h

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
right I will tell them those possibilities when I take it in then and hopefully it will get sorted 3rd time lucky

·
Registered
39 Posts
I agree with dailydoggy, i had the exact same problem on my 328 sport, burning smell, smoke coming through the vents inside the car, puffs of smoke from the exhaust because of the oil dripping onto it, turns out it was right in the far corner of the rocker cover gasket

·
Registered
653 Posts
Can you see any patches of oil on the under tray? I could smell oil in mine when I reversed and was stationary. It was the CCV and the hose that runs from the rocker cover to it, hose was split and the valve had collapsed.

Really easy to change on the M43 engine.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts