BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, need help!
I've had an E46 for a few weeks now, it keeps leaking water but there are no visable signs of where it might be coming from. I'm having to put a litre of water in every 60 miles or so. Its been to the garage and they've changed a few hoses. Has any one else had this problem or know of a possible solution?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hi, need help!
I've had an E46 for a few weeks now, it keeps leaking water but there are no visable signs of where it might be coming from. I'm having to put a litre of water in every 60 miles or so. Its been to the garage and they've changed a few hoses. Has any one else had this problem or know of a possible solution?
have seen many.....................

did the garage carry out a sniff test? headgasket ok?

if so, then you need to check around the waterpump area, any signs of coolant leak?

around the expansion bottle? these are known to split.

around the rad?

There is a small coolant pipe that runs into the bottom of the throttle body- it is hard to see....these can split.

also the water flange at the back of back of cylinder head (Bulk head side)....known e46'd to come in leaking coolant from there.......again, this is not easily visible.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Any over heating?

heater blower not hot?

was the cooling system bled properly after hoses were fitted?

and has the rad cap been checked?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
no signs of over heating and the heater blower is hot. Not suer if the system was bled properly and i dont know about the red cap or were that is. going to phone the garage where i got it from as it under warranty. i only use the car over the weekends so thay can keep it till it sorted

·
Registered
145 Posts
lets hope your warranty covers it mate ,good luck, some warranties dont cover the cylinder head etc have a look in you warranties policy booklet see what it covers my warranty wouldnt cover the radiator when it was knackered

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just got back from the garage in denton manchester .thay say that thay will fix what ever is wrong with the car under their warranty. so i have left it with them and will pick it up next weekend as i live in liverpool.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
just got back from the garage in denton manchester .thay say that thay will fix what ever is wrong with the car under their warranty. so i have left it with them and will pick it up next weekend as i live in liverpool.
Great news Mac :thumbsup, let us know the outcome and what the problem was :cool

·
Registered
9 Posts
Good luck with sorting this. I had the same problem with mine and it turned out to be the thermostat and water pump having failed and needed replacing. There was no evidence of it leaking because of where it was coming from (quick evapouration hiding any evidence!).
For reference, my Warranty Direct policy covered this claim.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi and a big THANKS TO ALL OF YOU . car is still in the garage fond nothing yet so now thay are checking out the thermostat and water pump. hop to get it back soon

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi all
after 10 day at the garage i,v got my bmw back they have given my a list of everything they have checked .from sniff test to water pump and found nothing wrong .but they have bled the system again and drove around for a few days .they think that was the problem in the first place ONLY TIME WILL TELL.i will let you know in a few days

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi all its been a few weeks since my last post thought i would up date you all .Since i got my car back iv not lost any water don't know what the garage has done to it they say they haven't replaced anything.? I also had contact with the previous owner ,he had the car for about 6or 7 years and informed me that he had to top up the water every so often .He told me that he had put it into a BMW garage and spent over £250 on finding out why it was loosing water they did not find anything.Apart from that the car was very reliable and had no major problems with it. I find it a good to speak to the previous owner.A big THANKS for all your help

1 - 16 of 16 Posts