BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My real name is Ross and i have been driving my first BMW for the past 6 months and its been great... Managed to find a 2000 w reg 318Ci with 60k on the clock with the sports pack on it in steel blue, so im chuffed that ive got a nice looking car with goodish MPG. this is all great but....

i have now found what i think could be a problem with the engine....

firstly the dipstick has got a bown/creamy residue on it.. not lots but there is a little blob on the top of the measuring part of it... the cars needs an oil seervice in 1000 miles so could it just be 'crap' in it?

secondly, when i an slowing down (15mph - stop) and say shift into second, not excelerating at all, the MPG dial goes up to 30 holds there for about a second and then returns to above 50?!? this has jst started happenign over the past few days.

any ideas what this could be guys??? having just hit a badger and 1K's worth of front end damage fixed from it, im really not in a position to be spending much more money..

cheers for any help..

·
Premium Member
3,447 Posts
Hi Ross

From experience I wouldn't worry too much about the residue on the dipstick, I'd just recommend getting an oil service done before that 1000 miles are up to be on the safe side.

As for the MPG dial, I wouldn't worry about that, mine goes up and down whilst driving its all dependent on speed, clutch, brake, accelerator etc mine for example goes off the scale when I take my foot off the accelerator, I don't think you need to worry about it if you're still getting a good mpg anyway :thumbsup

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
as said.the gunk on the dipstick may not be anything to worry about.
if the car has been used for a few short journeys the engine wont have got hot enough to evaporate any condensation inside,and that emulsifies into the oil.
a regular decent run will prevent this in future,but its too late for your existing oil...a service can be brought forward ;)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
cheers for the replies guys.. thats kinda what i wanted to hear... i immediately assumed it would be the head, but i do go on alot of shot 5-10 mile journeys.

Im gonna take it to a garage today to get it checked and have the oil change done.

how much should i be looking at to get a sniff test done?

cheers,

Ross.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just got back from the garage, he says yea the gunk is condensation and recomended me to put some engine flush solution into the oil before i get it serviced... think it was called STP??

he says the MPG dial relates to pressure change in the engine, n he seems to have no real idea of what that could be... :frown

any of you come into issue which may have stemed from a stangely behaving MPG dial??

cheers... again :)

ps; sorry about the thread placement.... wont happen again.

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
i think he was assuming the econometer was vacuum operated.
afaik it gets its info from the dme(ecu) and is electrically operated.
so you may have a dodgy wire/connection or earth somewhere...or it may be a dry solder joint on the cluster pcb

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i think he was assuming the econometer was vacuum operated.
afaik it gets its info from the dme(ecu) and is electrically operated.
so you may have a dodgy wire/connection or earth somewhere...or it may be a dry solder joint on the cluster pcb

oooh?!? really, i took his word for it assuming (as one would) that he would know how it was controlled... i'll ring up BMW tomorrow to confirm it..

if it is ECU operated it could it have no relation/effect on the cars performance?

basically what im saying is.. as long as it aint doin damage to my car and performance is not altered i dont really care lol.. i only use the dial when on the motorway/fast roads for consumption and this aspect is not affected.

once again thanks or the help!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
been talking toa few garages and they say it may need a software update... how much should on of these cost and how do n i tell what software i have got at the moment??

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The main dealer will be able to tell by connecting his scanner up, or a independent may by using a BMW specific scanner and looking at the DME info.

Cost, couldn't say

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.