BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I had my car a few days now and running fine. Yesterday the orange engine light came on (annoying) I know there isn’t much I can do until I have it checked out. Because im new to BMW’s is this a fairly common fault and easily fixed in most cases?

Bit of background, prior to me buying it, it had been stood for 9 months, and the fuel I was told was over a year old.(had about ¾ of a tank) I drove it back from Kent to Bristol with no hiccups and still had a ¼ tank of fuel left, I did top it up with a fivers worth just before the light came on. Can fuel go bad after a while.

Im just creating a shopping list of service items such as fuel, air, oil filters, and new plugs as its due a service anyway.

I am borrowing a OBD tool from my mechanic friend at lunch time so im hoping this will point me in the right direction.

Other info: runs fine, no loss of power or idle problems etc, 104k on clock. 2000 model 318 ci

cheers

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just read the codes, got:

- P0170 fuel trim bank
- P0300 random/multiple engine missfire

ive cleared the codes for now, i was advised to change the plugs which i was going to do anyway, anf give the throttle body/MAF a clean

what do people think?

·
Registered
740 Posts
misfire could be a timing issue but might be crappy plugs as well...get the servce done and give her a good spin...check again for codes etc...if nothing shows your probably good...

·
Registered
229 Posts
here is some useful info on code p0300

A code P0300 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:

•Faulty spark plugs or wires
•Faulty coil (pack)
•Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
•Faulty fuel injector(s)
•Burned exhaust valve
•Faulty catalytic converter(s)
•Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages
•Faulty camshaft position sensor
•Defective computer
Possible SolutionsIf there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.

If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.

Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well the weekend i changed the plugs, oil, all filters, cleaned the MAF, ICV, checked for vacuum leaks (none) but fault code P0170 came back last night so ive just ordered a CCV as it seems by all the research ive done it's either that or the MAF so just eliminating the cheapest option first.

thanks for advice :thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just sorted a P0170 on my 318ci 2000 after about 16month of messing about. I changed ccv and all sorts with no avail. Its most definately the MAF. You need to get a OEM Bosch MAF will most likely set you back £140+. I tried a cheap MAF but still did not clear P0170 and a waste of £60. Change the MAF and clear fault code and adaptations. So far 250miles and no more light!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Changed the CCV yesterday lunch time and what a difference! the engine idles perfect (was a bit lumpy before) drove it around quite a bit since and no fault codes or pending fault codes so looks to be cured. at least i know now if the P0170 comes back its defo the MAF

1 - 9 of 9 Posts