BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got 2 E39 535i saloons. 1 has servotronic steering and the other doesn't. Having got used to the one with servotronic assist the heavy steering in the one without is really noticeable. Is there any way to increase the base level of assist in the car without the servotronic? I guess one option would be to retrofit the servotronics but that is non-trivial. Needs a new steering box, GMIII module, cables through the firewall and some coding. If however there is a way just to turn up the power assist in the existing system that might be an easier option for the time being.

Anyone done anything similar before?

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Unfortunately basic steering box can't be adjusted. If you go for retrofit route M5 steering box has also faster gearing compared to other E39 V8 models.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Even a stock steering box with the servotronic would be an improvement. Funny that I never minded the old car with it's heavy steering until I got the "new" one with the servotronic.
Now I can't stop thinking about why it wasn't ordered as an option in the first place. Then again, the new one doesn't have a phone and I keep wondering why not, considering it's got everything else.
Guess it just comes down to what different people think is important.

Ah well. Retrofit here we come I suppose.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for a laugh I swapped out the GMIII module for another one. Definitely feels better than it did before. Although it still isn't equal to the servotronic version it is an improvement. Popeye could steer the car now without having to eat his spinach first.

·
Super Moderator
3,593 Posts
Just for a laugh I swapped out the GMIII module for another one. Definitely feels better than it did before. Although it still isn't equal to the servotronic version it is an improvement. Popeye could steer the car now without having to eat his spinach first.
Body module has nothing to do with power steering if it's not servotronic.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Placebo effect then. It's either that or the fact that it's freezing out today so the tyres just aren't sticking and it's making the steering feel lighter. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts