BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my 2000 E39 540i 4.4L V8 MSport had developed a ticking noise coming from the front left side of the engine in the area of the timing chain, tensioner, vanos. This noise has got a bit louder in only about 1 mile and is louder on start up before the engine oil pressure comes up. Can anyone help me diagnose what this may be.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
If its just the tensioner these are a relatively easy fix. They can be replaced without having to strip too much down.

There's a nice little guide on meeknet plus the assorted youtube options. £35-40 for a new tensioner on Ebay.

Sometimes the ticking can just be the hydraulic adjusters on the cams getting a bit sticky. I've heard tales of this being cured with an Italian tune-up but can't vouch for that.

If its the vanos thats a bit more involved.

All that being said my 535i has had a bit of tick since I've had it. Everyone says ignore it unless it gets bad. I don't hear it when I'm inside the car although its noticeable outside. I may get it fixed at some point but performance isn't affected so I'm inclined to leave it until the next major rebuild.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts