BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. I've had a water leak for few days now and gradually getting worse. I have jacked the car up and started it and it seems to be dripping from the right hand of the sump. Obviously it not coming from the sump but cant see where its dripping from above.

Does anyone know what water ways are around that area (to the right hand side of engine as you look from front of bonnet) or has anyone experienced this before?

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. To be honest I dont really understand these pictures. Could you try and explain exactly where that drain plug is please so i can check it out.

I take it the water pump is the middle pulley near thermostat?

thanks

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
I take it the water pump is the middle pulley near thermostat?

thanks
Correct, water pump can be seen in the centre of the engine here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DN22&mospid=47547&btnr=11_2280&hg=11&fg=05.

The leak could be from the pipes at the rear, seen here http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DN22&mospid=47547&btnr=11_1536&hg=11&fg=35. these run along the back of the engine from one cylinder head to another.

You will need to get the car jacked up onto axle stands and have a look from underneath for your leak, hope this helps, any questions just ask.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi guys. Thanks for your input on this. I just thought I'd give an update incase anyone else had this problem. I've narrowed it down. Basically it looks to me like it coming from just under the water pump so I'm hoping its the pipe underneath (11531711384). You can see it run down the block to the sump where its dripping.

Also I've had an intermitent screaming which i think I have also narrowed down. I think its where the water has been running down the block and on to the crank pulley. I take it, it would be quite possible for this to take off the grease?

It looks a right pain to get to so will be starting it midweek. :mad

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The fan nut is a 32mm, I use a long spanner and then hit the spanner with a medium sized hammer CLOCKWISE to remove it. You want a hammer you can accelerate quickly to hit the spanner, a sledge is NO good. :D

Yep, the fan winds off clockwise, opposite hand thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.