BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this question has been asked before but i'm looking to purchase a 530i sport, I know the car is pretty old now but are there any real nasties to look out for when viewing?
I've driven an E36 318is coupe for the last 8 years and not had a major problem with it at all, its been an awesome car and i was kind of hoping for the same from the 5 - series.

Any info appreciated.

thanks

G.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi G,

I owned a 2000 E39 528i SE manual until recently and now have a 1994 E36 525i Sport Automatic so i allow me to share my experience. The E39 was definately more refined (the handling was pin sharp, ive never driven anything else that comes close) than the E36 but had a tendency to wallow at roundabouts. I suppose if you bought the sport model it would solve this but I don't think you will get the famed E39 comfort if you have stiffer suspension and the sportier 17" wheels.

The E36 feels much lighter (I know it is anyway) but surprisingly it runs fine whereas the E39 would not go for more than a couple of months without a warning light coming on the dash. It could be a sign of the cars' age so if you are buying the same I would recommend you watch out for this.

Regarding running costs: during the first two months of this year I had to replace the E39's clutch, dual mass flywheel and oxygen sensors, at a cost of nearly £1200. Also it needed fully synthetic engine oil (castrol sport, £40 for 4L) so six monthly oil changes could be nearly £90 inc new filter. Plus haynes manual said change pollen filters every six months as well- from BMW dealer these are £32 each and needs one for driver and one for passenger... and gradually emptied my bank account. The E36 just takes standard oil (ie half the price) and air con isnt even working so don't have to worry about that. Parts for the E36 seem to be much easier to find than the E39 as well.

Personally I wouldn't have another E39 over the E36, but for the duration that I owned it and was driving around 450 miles a week it was a wondeful car and I loved it...much like all the BMWs I have owned.

Good luck

Matt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi G,

I owned a 2000 E39 528i SE manual until recently and now have a 1994 E36 525i Sport Automatic so i allow me to share my experience. The E39 was definately more refined (the handling was pin sharp, ive never driven anything else that comes close) than the E36 but had a tendency to wallow at roundabouts. I suppose if you bought the sport model it would solve this but I don't think you will get the famed E39 comfort if you have stiffer suspension and the sportier 17" wheels.

The E36 feels much lighter (I know it is anyway) but surprisingly it runs fine whereas the E39 would not go for more than a couple of months without a warning light coming on the dash. It could be a sign of the cars' age so if you are buying the same I would recommend you watch out for this.

Regarding running costs: during the first two months of this year I had to replace the E39's clutch, dual mass flywheel and oxygen sensors, at a cost of nearly £1200. Also it needed fully synthetic engine oil (castrol sport, £40 for 4L) so six monthly oil changes could be nearly £90 inc new filter. Plus haynes manual said change pollen filters every six months as well- from BMW dealer these are £32 each and needs one for driver and one for passenger... and gradually emptied my bank account. The E36 just takes standard oil (ie half the price) and air con isnt even working so don't have to worry about that. Parts for the E36 seem to be much easier to find than the E39 as well.

Personally I wouldn't have another E39 over the E36, but for the duration that I owned it and was driving around 450 miles a week it was a wondeful car and I loved it...much like all the BMWs I have owned.

Good luck

Matt.

Thank you very much!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.