BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Just three months after I got remote activation of the aux heater in the E39 530D working (thru' +12V to pin 1) the heater has packed up.

I was out tonight with the car thinking it's -16DegC (sensor in an ice block) but the Webasto isn't starting even with the engine running.

I hear tell that INPA has diagnostics for the Webasto heater.

Does anyone have experience of usiing INPA on the Webasto:- is there just an "error" or might I get decent diagnostics?

Has anyone had faults in, or repaired the Webasto? My only thought is that some water might've got in via the signal connector if I didn't properly re-seal it.

Also: I have spent days downloading etc etc but reckon I'll have to buy INPA (I was hoping to use my carsoft 6.5 laptop + cable). Any recommendations where to buy an INPA cable + CD? - there is a big price range in eBay, from a tenner to £200

Thanks,
Greg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
1st thing have you power at the heater?
Check the fuse for the heater, I can't remember which fuse it is I will check tomorrow.
Check also if you still have feed down to pin 1.

These are the checks which can be done without any diagnostic equipment.

I wouldn't expect both the signal feeds to fail at the same time. That's why I would check the heater has it's permanent power supply.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've done the following checks:

1. Check there is 0V and 12V at the power connector going into the Webasto;

2. Check the 20A aux heater fuse is intact - this is in the fuseholder over the battery;

3. I tried a Reset Procedure I saw: with engine running, pull the heater fuse for 30s and re-insert;

4. Checked the +12V is onto pin 1 when trying remote start;

5. Tried to get the ECU to start the heater by simulating -10Deg external temperature.

There is no life from the heater: no fuel pump, no water pump, no burner:confused

·
Registered
68 Posts
The heater needs a permnent power and earth which you have. Then a trigger feed down pin 1 remote start or pin 3 engine run signal.
The way to check the engine run signal is if you know the location of the ambient temp sensor for the heater, disconnect it and bridge the terminals.
The signal comes from the alternator and all the temp sensor does it allow the power to the heater when the temp drops.

But if you have power at the heater both permanent and switching, I supect you may have a faulty heater ecu.

I'm fairly sure this ecu is BMW only a std ecu will not work. BMW will not sell you an ecu only a complete heater.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rats! Not looking good then.

I am determined to get it working again. I should give it good look over.

But it looks as if I have to drain the coolant to remove it? And I prob can't drive the car with it out of circuit.

Might try the local scrapyard for a spare.

Also might wait for INPA diagnostics.

Has anyone had a Webasto heater out of the car for a checkup?

There are loadsa videos online like this guy:

YouTube - Webasto Thermo Top V

which looks like fun but I want the heater back in the car!

Greg.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you are removing the heater, and still want to use the car source a inline connector to join the hoses together. No need to drain the system just clamp the two pipes off then join the pipes.
BMW software should be able to communicate with the heater. Webasto software can't communicate with BMW heater due to the OE software.

Removal is easy, as said disconnect the water pipes, remove fuel pipe, exhaust and electrical connetions. Then unbolt the heater.

Yes there are many videos on You tube. That video is for a Thermo Top V a completely different heater.

You need to be looking at Thermo Top E/C

1 - 7 of 7 Posts