BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I have just purchased a nice 2000 W Reg E38 728i which comes with the TV/Sat Nav unit and my goal is to replace it with a double din touch screen DVD/Sat Nav/ Bluetooth/ Freeview/ Ipod system that I have, but before I start any attempt to swap the systems I guess Id better understand the set up I currently have.

I have searched the previous threads and by head is starting to spin with the various options and I am at a loss of which system I have.

1. How would I know if I have the DSP system (I had one in my Range Rover and it was a pain to go the aftermarket route)

2. My OEM Sat Nav system does not work, It comes up with an error message about licence code needing renewed or similar, how could I temprarily get round this. (I do still have my Range Rover SatNav unit which I seem to think is the same unit as BMW's

3. Can I get a link lead to change the oem wiring to iso like I did for my girlfriends 318i

4. Does anyone know any place to buy a double din facia for the E38, I cant seem to find one on google and may have to research making one if none are available

5. What is the general description of the current system, is all units in the boot and the screen only a screen or an actual headunit.

Thanks in advance

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi
I was sure I had read that there was enough room behind the facia to fit a double din headunit, it was the facia trim i was more worried about.

I know you have to cut into the heater unit to fit a double din to the e46 which is why I fitted the single din unit to my girlfriends car.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
TBH not seen E38 installs. Have you seen the Dynavin DVN-E39? Hilarious screen glare but may be one way around it.

Yes all the active parts of the audio system are in the boot. Currently your speaker and power connections are all in the boot, so you will need to do some wiring if you want to remove the OEM nav. The display is just a monitor and buttons.

You have DSP if you have a DSP menu option under the Television option.

Yes your RR system may be compatible, but not idential. RR system can have off road maps and different splash screen and colours and OS versions.

What exactly is the error message you see?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi
Well i have just been out to the car and found the following;

1. The nav unit in the boot has no CD in it so that may be an issue as i have no sat nav option on the screen menu.

2. The screen that i thought was the sat nav screen comes up when i press the 'TM' button beside the cup holders and comes up with a line drawing of the UK and the message 'Key Expired - please refer to your authorised dealer' Is this separate from the sat nav and what does it do. How would you normally access the sat nav?

3. I dont think I have DSP as I cant find it anywhere on the menu or the tv settings.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
1) You need a map. I assume you have a MK3 back there not a MK2 or KM4 (DVD logo)?

2) TM is traffic master, an expensive option, but I think TMC licences are on the map disc. It's shit anyway.
Here's what you want to see.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I thought i needed a cd once I saw the unit had no cd in it,

It is definatetly a cd version and not dvd as the unit in the boot has a light with Cd inserted which is not lit. and I dont have the navigation option on the menu like your pics.

I could I suppose buy a cd disc but after just googling it I see the latest cd's (09/10) do not even come with post code look up and I'm not sure the old cd based sat nav is that good anyway.

I still fancy fitting the double din unit I have if possible instead of adding to or upgrading the oem system.

Thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
It is definatetly a cd version and not dvd as the unit in the boot has a light with Cd inserted which is not lit.
Sounds like you have a MK2
http://www.xoutpost.com/images/articles/59/mk2.jpg

I don't know what happens when the navigation computer has no map.

The images and text menusyou see on the LCD are generated by the TV tuner module or the GPS module. When both are present, the GPS module takes priority.

One test is to unplug the TV tuner module and put the blue plug (RGB signals) into the nav drive. If you get any menus the nav drive is still alive.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I must have the Mk2 version, that image is the same as my unit in the boot, I also only have the small screen on the dash, not the larger one like yours.

I'll have a look tomorrow in the daylight and swap the blue plug over and see what happens and report back.

thanks again

Chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi All

well ive now got a cd map (thanks joylove) but now find that i seem to have a fault with my nav unit in the boot. I try to insert the disc but the unit will not grip it and automatically insert it the rest of the way so i am guessing the unit itself is useless.

I have decided to get the parts required and have a go at fitting the double din unit i have as it is a much better system although I would like to keep the onboard computer functions and at least see them in the instrument display if possible.

I am also guessing that will have to purchase a iso lead so that I can wire the speakers directly to my new headunit, I take it since the radio unit is in the boot that all th speakers will be fed from the boot and not from the back of the oem screen unit.

1. Am I right in thinking I should already have the crossovers in each door to filter the two speakers or do I need to add these to my list of parts to buy

2. I'm guessing the antenna lead also goes into the boot so I would also have to run an extension lead through car in order that the antenna can be plugged into the new headunit.

3. If I just remove the screen unit but leave the rest of the units in the boot, will my computer still show on the instrument panel, and even better, if it is a RGB output I may be able to plug it into the 'Rear Camera' connection of my new head unit and get the on board computer screen on the new headunit

Also, I am still having problems finding a facia for the console and no-one has reported that they know their availability either. I am thinking of removing the oem one with the small screen hole and button holes and seeing if my son's DT teacher could mould me a piece of plastic on the schools vacummn forming machine the same shape so that I could cut the double din hoe out of it and cover it with a matching wood effect but if possible I would prefer to buy one.

Thanks

Chris

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
1) Depends on whether you have an amp in the boot. The crossovers were in the amps.

2)Yep. Mini UHF to FM DIN if it is like the E46 FM amp.

3) Dunno about the computer. The video output is RGB with sync on green. Rear camera connection is usually composite video.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts