BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear screen of my Z3 has split and looking around I found this place local to me http://www.softtops.org.uk/rear-screens.htm

Now having spoken to a chap called Tony, he quoted £140 and 2-2.5 hours (the Website is wrong?!) and seemed to know what he was about.

This is to remove the old screen and then attach (sew, glue, mutual attraction?:confused) some new screen material to the old zip, and zip it back in.

He says they use 1mm thick quality material with a slight green tint, to match the original.

So, has anyone used this company and, if so, what did you think of the results?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I got a replacement rear screen myself, borrowed a zipper from a fellow BMW Z3 owner and did it myself in under an hour, remove plastic screen with zip, get in place the new one and zip up. Job done. was a bit fiddly getting it started but otherwise no harder than a stiff zip on a coat.

Original screen is much thicker than 1mm at least 2mm (maybe 3mm) its seriously tough. who ever had a go at getting in mine found that out.

cant remember how much I payed for the screen though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
last year some clown cut mine /any how bmw by me wanted wait for it £500 for a new screen and to fit it what a joke hay .

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have an E36 and just posted my rear plastic window to Maidstone trimming. You take out your screen post to them they fit a new 1mm screen into existing zip and post back for £80, they supply zipper to refit.
Should have mine back by end of week or early next i will let you know what it is like!

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
The rear screen of my Z3 has split and looking around I found this place local to me http://www.softtops.org.uk/rear-screens.htm

Now having spoken to a chap called Tony, he quoted £140 and 2-2.5 hours (the Website is wrong?!) and seemed to know what he was about.

This is to remove the old screen and then attach (sew, glue, mutual attraction?:confused) some new screen material to the old zip, and zip it back in.

He says they use 1mm thick quality material with a slight green tint, to match the original.

So, has anyone used this company and, if so, what did you think of the results?

Thanks in advance.
not used that company before (as mine had a new roof when i got it) - but the price seems fair and the detail in the advert sounds good.. :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Original screen is much thicker than 1mm at least 2mm (maybe 3mm) its seriously tough. who ever had a go at getting in mine found that out.
I don't remember the screen being this thick, but once I get the hardtop off at the weekend I'll measure it where the rips are.

I think I'll give this firm a try. I found some more fitting instructions and for the sake of £20 I'll get someone who has done it before AND gives a 3 year warrenty, to do it - it would cost me more than this in beer if I got my mate to help:lol.

I need to get this fixed fast for a trip to York, as I hate the sight of it with glazing tape over the rips. So booking it in for 23rd. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
OEM ones from dealers are c£150 (but you can get 10% discount is BMWCC member, some dealers only 5%)

Once you've done one you can do this in less than 30 mins but you do need a second pair of hands to hold the replacement screen whilst fitting.

The "sew" in ones can be very shoddy (and I've seen enough of them to know I would never get one).

The instructions above are great but for completeness here are the OEM ones (which you don't get with the replacement kit as its suppoed to be dealer fit only)

OEM fitting rear window

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't remember the screen being this thick, but once I get the hardtop off at the weekend I'll measure it where the rips are.

I think I'll give this firm a try. I found some more fitting instructions and for the sake of £20 I'll get someone who has done it before AND gives a 3 year warrenty, to do it - it would cost me more than this in beer if I got my mate to help:lol.

I need to get this fixed fast for a trip to York, as I hate the sight of it with glazing tape over the rips. So booking it in for 23rd. I'll let you know how it goes.
sounds good! :thumbsup let us know how you get on! :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have recieved my window back from maidstone trimming who replaced the plastic rear window. They have done an excellent job and supply a zipper to re fit. It took about half an hour to get it zipped back in just need to glue the hood back into the trim and i will post a pic.

They charge £80 which includes postage back and very helpful on email for any questions.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of doing it yourself.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Bit late in closing this thread but I got the screen repaired by the company I quoted at the outset http://www.softtops.org.uk/rear-screens.htm

One man band specalizing in soft top screens. Talked Tony (owner) who seemed genuinly knowledgable about his subject.

Upshot is that I'm now £140 lighter but have a very clear and well fitted rear screen.

The split one was not original, as the zips didn't meet properly. Tony was concerned that he may have to offset a couple of teeth as the hood may have taken on the twist. In the end though the new one went in and fitted perfectly. The seam is all stuck down and sealed on the outside which it had come away before, and it is sooooo much clearer:thumbsup

Had a problem at first with it not folding properly when lowering the hood, but now it seems to have taken on the shape better and bows-in correctly.

It's started to get the dreaded fold mark, but not nearly as much as the old one. I'm trying to keep it clean before lowering, so the screen doesn't scratch, but as the hood is up and down so much, I can't be bothered with the blanket (which I don't have) or the hood cover (which I do - it's in the loft).

All in all it looks so much better and the screen comes with a 3 year guarantee which hopefully I won't need.

The company seems to offer a good service at a reasonable cost. Yes you could do it yourself cheaper and Tony does a mail-order service, but I'm pleased with the result. It took 3hrs and he dropped, and picked me up from the motor museum in Coventry :)thumbsupHIGHLY RECOMMENDED:thumbsup).

·
Registered
1 Posts
E36 Convertible Back screen

Hi,

I'm currently trying to do my own back screen at the moment. My last 328i cabrio I decided to get done by a professional trimmer who charged me £700 for straps and back screen. That was some time ago and learnt my lesson.

To the guy from Hull, do you still have the details for the trimmer who stitched you a back screen?

Thanks.

DAS

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have fitted a new rear screen recently so thought I would add to the topic.

Has anyone anything to say about putting a hard top on and folding back the hood with a new rear screen for around 4-6 months during winter?

My old window was cloudy and had a fold mark, but now I have a new window (I fitted myself) and I am wanting to put my hardtop on, will the window get worn and have a bad fold mark when I come to take off the hardtop in summer?

Is it worth considering removing the rear screen from the hood just for the winter whilst the hardtop is on then re-installing it?

Any thoughts / comments welcome!

Jak

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I have fitted a new rear screen recently so thought I would add to the topic.

Has anyone anything to say about putting a hard top on and folding back the hood with a new rear screen for around 4-6 months during winter?

My old window was cloudy and had a fold mark, but now I have a new window (I fitted myself) and I am wanting to put my hardtop on, will the window get worn and have a bad fold mark when I come to take off the hardtop in summer?

Is it worth considering removing the rear screen from the hood just for the winter whilst the hardtop is on then re-installing it?

Any thoughts / comments welcome!

Jak
Hi Jak,

Not sure if it's the same for the Vert - but you can get a window blanket from BMW for the Z3 that minimises the risk of this happening..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Jak,

Not sure if it's the same for the Vert - but you can get a window blanket from BMW for the Z3 that minimises the risk of this happening..
Thanks mate - I did some research and found this blog, I have rolled up a towel and used this to hopefully prevent the rear screen getting a fold mark, check out the below post could be useful it was for me...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Convertibe Winter preperation tips

Convertibe Winter preperation tips

With the onset of Winter 2008/2009 we must think about preparing our convertible whether [A] without a hard top or with a hard top.

If you can manage to get a ‘window’ of dryness then I would strongly suggest you clean and treat your roof. A product I have used for several years is AutoGlym Fabric Roof Cleaning Kit [approx £20]. It comes in a two-pack:

Fabric Hood Cleaner – Cleans, & revives by removing soiling, stains from natural and synthetic fabrics.
Fabric Hood Protector – Reproofs, protects and preserves the surface

[A] Prepare roof by brushing gently to remove any dust. Apply ‘cleaner’ and work into the roof as per instructions. For the seams, creases and around the window I used a fairly stiff toothbrush. This is particularly useful for going around the seam of the window as the kit comes with a large, course sponge and you do not want this accidentally scratching your window.

Hopefully it will stay dry long enough for the roof to dry before applying the ‘protector’. Cover the plastic window and have a bowl of warm soapy water and sponge ready to wipe off IMMEDIATELY any of the protector that will fall on any of the surfaces ie bodywork, windows etc. Wipe windows immediately also. IF it does dry then it is hard to get off. To remove from the windows use Methylated Spirit. Allow to dry. They recommend overnight in a garage.

If you are fortunate enough to have a hardtop follow these steps before storing away your roof.
• MAKE SURE THE ROOF IS 100% DRY
• Ensure the storage compartment is completely dry
• Check for any water in the wells of the storage compartment. There are drainage holes at one end but water can congregate at the other end. Dry as best you can with paper towels then use a hairdryer until completely dry.
• Check drain holes are clear of muck/debris etc
• Spray all mechanisms with WD40
• Use a rubber lubricant ie AutoGlym Bumper Care and ‘massage’ all rubber around the storage compartment outer rim and rubber around the outside of the roof itself
• Get a large towel or old blanket and make into a roll. Put this in the fold of the window to prevent it coming out in the Spring with a nasty crease along its width. It is a 2-man job but if you are on your own lower the roof until just before the lid comes down and carefully place the roll into the cavity then lower the roof completely.
• When lowering the roof stop periodically to make sure the roof is folding properly and does not have any unnecessary twists, creases etc.

If for any reason we have an Indian Summer and you wish to take off the hard top be aware that the roof has been stowed away and the window may be a little brittle. Ideally, you should raise the storage lid and when the window starts to become visible you should warm it with a hairdryer to avoid the possibility of it cracking. I know this seems a bit extreme but plastic can be brittle when cold. Vice Versa, if you have to put it away and the window is really cold, again, apply heat from a hairdryer to soften just before lowering it into the storage compartment.

Also you may just wish to put the roof up just to give it a periodic ‘airing’. Make sure it is 100% completely dry before re-storing away and follow the last two bullet points above.

The above advice is not exhaustive and if you have any other tips or ideas please add them to this thread.

The above was taken from:
http://www.forum.edirty6.com/archive/index.php/t-982.html
Thanks to "Angel".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts