BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2000 E36 316i se How to measure ride height

Hello all

I just need to know the ride height of bmw 3 series compact 1.9 2000, and how to measure it. And if possible where to obtain the recommended measurements.

Cheers

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi the end

Just to make sure, do you mean the outside edge of the alloy wheel

Cheers

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Yep, outside edge, at the bottom, where the wheel meets the rubber, ie, the lowest possible point of the wheel.
This removes any tyre pressure or type problems out of the equation, and then up the the middle of the arch/wheel well to the highest point inside.

I think BMW have a tolerance of about 10mm, but in reality, you'll just have the usual E36 lean!

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Ah.. no BMW data for them, they were nly supposed to go to 17 inch.

Generally that were looking for a deviation of 10mm between wheels, but it's something they all get over time.

It's not to balance the car up for drivers sitting on one side, it's just a thing they all get over the years.
Often changing the springs highlights it more too

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alloy were fitted when i bought it.

The car does bottom out when hitting larger potholes.

And the front tyres seem to be directly below strut.

Do you think struts after ten years of use are going to be shot.

The problems i am having are poor feel, i suppose fitting bigger wheels you are compressing the strut springs more. Giving yourself less play when hitting any holes etc.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Shocks shouldn't be that bad, but maybe it doesn't have great springs fitted.

Most BMW shocks have obvious bouncing when they are worn out, or leaks, so often easy to spot.

You can get suspension kits of shocks and springs from Bilstein etc for about £250-300-ish.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am not 100% sure but i think my car has struts fitted. Can you replace with shocks and springs.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's just that i have been on the net, and it has said that struts are an integral part of the suspension system and need to be replaced as one complete unit. Whereas shocks and springs are independant.

·
Registered
221 Posts

...........................front = 617mm.................................................rear = 565mm
thats for 18's :)

Reactions: dutch

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just measured my car

d/s front =62cm
p/s front =62.7cm

p/s rear= 58cm
d/s rear =58.2cm

1 - 19 of 19 Posts