Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

Im having major difficulty doing what seems like a simple task. I am trying to change the oil filter on my e36 compact and cannot seem to open up the housing it sits in.

Can someone please confirm that the filter housing if the black cylinder in the middle-bottom of the photo I have taken? Also any ideas how to open it- I have tried to unscrew it but it is too stiff and even tried to loosen the edge with a flat head screwdriver.

Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yep thats the housing for you oil filter-I think its a number 8 socket you need to use to open it-Easier to open with a socket set.:thumbsup

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It doesn't budge at all with just bare hands. Even let a friend have a go so I know im not that weak!

guess ill have to use some kind of spanner like mentioned. just had a look at removal tool as also mentioned on ebay.

thanks ppl.

·
Registered
566 Posts
Funny, yours doesnt seem to have the 36mm hex bit on the top of it. if im seeing the pic wrong, then i did mine with a 12" adjustable spanner. just managed to fit it on with the spanner fully open.
If not all E36's have this, then yh, the tool as boyo and A20 have suggested is the only way without riskin damage, which the chain thingy may do.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah it does have that bit missing- i did look on top and it does not look like it has been broken off. Thanks for pointing out the halfords tool ill take a look at that.

just out of interest, do many people on here change their oil themselves?

·
Registered
566 Posts
At an average of about £35-40 for labour when its an easy job, if you know how to use a spanner, you should do the oil yourself. I always have done since my first car, and my dad's cars before that. Only with jap cars, you remove the whole filter, so if it sticks, you just hammer a screwdriver into it and lever it loose to open it.... unfortunately something you cant do to the filter housing on these cars....but then it is alot more accessible, which you've got to appreciate.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi mate, you have the ame housing as me. It is EXTREMELY TIGHT. So good old fashioned elbow grease Im afraid. Torque wrench needed and more elbow grease. Does it say 25nm or something on the cap?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah DrPepper its as still as anything- i was putting so much effort into it i thought the whole car started to shift sideways! It does say 25nm and an arrow direction too.

The annoying this is because of the position, I can only get one hand on it. Those tools do look good but am unsure if they would be able to fit in the narrow space.

-ontheball- my dad was telling me about using a screwdriver to ease it up but thought "no one does that" but clearly he was right as, as you are too. He's a chartered mechanical engineer and I still don't listen to him!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hi, I had a problem getting the oil filter housing out on my 320d, it was stuck solid, I tried one of them tools but mine is a chain one, I tried big pipe grips and nothing would budge it. Mine had a 36mm socket on top so I got one of those and I had to push it that hard it broke into pieces. I had to order a new housing, it was only about £25 from dealer and comes with an oil filter but it took 3 days to come so I had no car for 3 days.

If yours is that solid it might be worth getting one from dealers just in case. I'm going to get a new one to keep in the garage just in case it happens again :hihi

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.