BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fist of all get your cars front end elevated, i used my ramps, then an axle sand for the passenger side, i took the wheel off and then the under car plastic wind deflector and metal subframe shield!
1, i decided to undo the track rod end so that i could get better access to the ball joint!, i then proceded to undo the nut and seperate the ball joint from the hub!this was extremely tight, and wouldn't budge with my propper ball joint splitter, so a pickle folk and a lot of banging later!

Then i decided to undo the inner ball joint off as i needed the lollie pop still attached so that the wishbone didn't move about!, there was no room relly as the bolt was tight to undo, so i went in from the top using a set of extensions and uv joints to get at the nut!

pickle folk was needed again but not as tight!
then i undid the lolly pop 16mm bolts and dropped the wishbone out!, there is a pic side by side

to put back onits the exact oppersite

19mm bolt on meyle, 18 on original!

22mm on meyle, 21mm on original. and thats it!, about 1hrs work.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Thanks for the posting I'll be doing this sometime this week along with new shocks and bushes, looks like i'll need to aquire a 21 and 22mm spanner.

Jim.

·
Registered
68 Posts
just a couple of points to add to this:

When reassembling it is often easier to put the middle (inner) ball joint in first. support it with a jack and losely fix the bolt above it

Then fixed the rear end (with the lolypop/bush) and three quarters tighten the bolts in place, so the lolypop bracket it mounted snugly in place.

Then fit the outer ball joint into its hole - you may have to move the strut around a bit and angle the ball joint inwards a bit and once again three quarters tighten the nut

Finally - it is best to load up the suspension strut for the outer ball joint before tightening everything up. If you dont, the balljoints tighten at the wrong angle, are then forced sideways when you put the car back on the gound and six months later you will have knackered balljoints again!

If you are woried about compressing the suspension strut before tightening the outer ball joint (and you should be because if you jack it up to compress it and the jack slips, it will uncompress viscously and take your arm off, or much much worse!!!) then put the front wheels back on, lower the car (perhaps onto a couple of planks of wood, keeping jacks under the jacking points at all times) and reach in and carefully tighten the nuts from there.

hope this helps

·
Registered
361 Posts
sorry to dig this up. but . i noticed on the lolly pop on mine i have a black bar that comes past the lower bolt which makes it harder to remove, did you take this off or dont have it etc,

also what size bolt is the middle ball joint and is there a way to get to it other than the top as i dont have that many extension bars.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts