BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok , my wife said last week when she pulled out onto main road after work her car was sluggish and lost power , i said to her it was probably cold but ill take a look .
Needless to say i didnt , anyway , other night some tit parked in front of my driveway while next door so i took the wifes car from round back .
I hang my head in shame now as i cannot describe how bad it is .
i think it is something simple like plugs or leads or air filter .
Heres the thing , i know naf all about modern engine bays . If you say thats broken and it needs changed , im your man , figuring out , not .
Tonight she came home and was stressed out about the constant lack of power so i took a look , just to make her think i knew what i was doing , i jiggled the leads and all seemed to be on ok . Tried to remove cover for air filter and couldnt get that of either . So swore at it couple of times. :hihi:hihi
Anyway im standing looking into engine bay , wishing it was an old ford , and i noticed , well i dunno what it is but i recognised it from the boxed item which has been kicking about the boot since we bought the car .
See picture
Now heres my question , firstly what is it ,
and secondly could it be related to my problem and , as it looks like it may be a pain in arse to get out could this be why it wasnt done when bought .

Thanks in advance ....Mark

·
Registered
564 Posts
Sounds like the MAF is shagged ont he compact mate, does it sound like it is mis firing? does the car run smooth after a certain amount of time? Unplug the maf and take it for a spin and see how it goes mate then get back to us

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sounds like the MAF is shagged ont he compact mate, does it sound like it is mis firing? does the car run smooth after a certain amount of time? Unplug the maf and take it for a spin and see how it goes mate then get back to us
MAF . I done a search but dunno what it is , or where . Any chance you could point me in the right direction . It does feel like a misfire sometimes , and yes it does correct itself . Sometimes .
Thanks again

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had a similar experience with my 316 compact, you put your foot down and it can be a bit sluggish as if its misfiring. It is usually when the engine is cold, however I have noticed it is a lot more prominent when using higher octane fuel (I have only tried the stuff Total sell). :confused

·
Platinum BFuk Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry man , my incompetence strikes again .
It is a 2000 3 series compact .
I took it out this morning for a spin and it practically came to a standstill , had to pull over and wait tillit cleared a bit. Someone said last night sounded like the cat was blocked .

:confused:confused:confused Still dont know what the MAF is :confused:confused:confused

·
BFuk Legend
11,712 Posts
Mass Air Flow sensor. It measures the amount of air going into the engine so the ECU can fuel it correctly :thumbsup
Easy way to tell if the exhaust is blocked is to remove the rear section after the cat and give it a noisy blast around the block and see how it drives :thumbsup

·
Registered
31 Posts
when i first got my compact i kept hitting slow patches where it wouldnt pick up, i changed the sparks, oil, oil filter and air filter, runs like a treat now, it doesnt cost much to do this either. hope it helps

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.