BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I was wondering how much hassle it would be to change the steering wheel on a 535D touring to one with the paddles and get the paddles connected up so they work! I know there's a company does them for the new RRS that doesn't have it and wondered if it would be possible with the BM too?

Anyone any ideas?

Cheers 4wd

·
Banned
137 Posts

·
Banned
137 Posts
Interesting but it doesn't mention E60's on that PDF
strange
To do the conversion you first need to establish the build date for your car. Models up to September 2005 build date have different electronics to those built after September and require an M5 steering wheel for a pre September 2005 build date car. These pre September wheels have a small ECU within the wheel itself, but post September wheels do not have this. Please remember that the registration date of the car is not the same as the build date! I think in general the cars with the Start / Stop button are all post September 2005, but don't quote me on this, please check first!

If you have an SE steering wheel you will also need a Sport airbag which is round instead of the triangular shaped one. These can often be sourced on Ebay or if not from a dealer, but they will be a lot more expensive. The steering wheels can be bought in various ways. Some sellers on ebay will have the barebone wheel without any multifunction switches, trim or paddles, but I wouldn't really advise buying the M5 wheel without the paddles from ebay as the paddles can be expensive (especially from a dealer) and are very hard to find on their own on ebay. Typically the steering wheels come up for sale with the paddles, multifunction switches and trim but not necessarily with the airbag. The airbag is the easiest part to source, and if you already have the Sport airbag then you don't need one.
Please bear in mind that the ordinary Sport / M Sport wheel cannot be adapted to accept the paddles, it has to be an M5 wheel!

Now for the wiring and fitting side of things.
To make the whole thing work, you will need a modified coil spring adaptor, (also known as the slip ring). Basically the paddles are just a couple of switches which link in to the switching cabling next to the gear selector. Now there are two ways of doing the 'slip ring' conversion. At present there are a couple of places to source this.
These details apply to the post September build date cars, although the pre September cars are done in a similar fashion, the 'slip rings' are different and the wires connect to different place on each of the two 'slip rings'

You have two choices with the 'slip ring' conversion, either buy a new replacement part for your car and modify it prior to disassembling your car or just take the existing one off, modify it and put it all back together again. Your choice really, but the 'slip rings' are not that expensive, £35-40 from a dealer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts