BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys. last week i brought a 2000 (w reg) compact and swapped over engine out of my 328 touring.
the compact had ews3 and touring ews2 so i rewired ews2 into the compact along with send/recieve module, key etc. anyway it runs and drives now but i have a few problems i cant solve.
firstly the temp gauge will not work
rev counter also does not work
and i am sure its not revving as high as it was when it was in the touring? cant verify this yet tho as no rev counter.
i did some research and found this
X20------------------------blue cluster plug
pin 11-------------------------pin 17
pin 12-------------------------pin18
X20------------------------white cluster plug
pin 20-------------------------pin 21
i tried this but still no rev counter or temp gauge.

everything was working 100% when removed from my daily driven touring including the clocks that i swapped

can someone here help? please lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I am using 6 cylinder clocks from the same car the engine was from.
Also I have just been told I can run a wire from the abs pump to the ecu to fix the limiter. Is this correct?
The temp gauge is my main concern at the moment but really would like to get the cluster working nicely.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
It might be possible to wire the ABS to the ECU, but I can't be certain which wires as the wiring diagrams aren't too clear on the functions of them.
The temp gauge is likely to be missing the wire in the car loom as the compact didn't use it, so you may need to run a new wire from the X20 to the cluster.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats what I thought. But I ran new wires from x20 to the clusters and no luck. I shall check my wiring again tonight to be certain.
As for the abs wire. I have been told to run a wire from pin 2 on blue clustet plug to pin15 on the ecu.

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
You can try it, my wiring diagrams just show 2 wires, both marked ABS which I assume is a CANbus pair, but it could also be things like MSR (power reduction for traction control) or an analogue speed pulse.
The limiter is at about 5500rpm, so if you get higher when driving, you'll know it is fixed.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok so I checked my wiring. Small error. Didn't connect one wire properly. So fixed it and rechecked all the other bits I have done. I now have a working temp gauge but still no rev counter.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Hi all, ive just done a m50 swap into 1999 316 compact which had the m43tu engine with ews3.

Im having problems getting the wiringat the x20 connector sorted. Does anyone happen to have a pinout for the x20 chassis side for the compact? Help would be much appreciated

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
8,981 Posts
Check through this, and see if you can match up the colours.
http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f9/x20-connector-pins-t104554/
Very rarely are the pins retasked to different wires.
Make a note of the pin positions and colours on the engine and chassis side, and see what they match up to in that list.

The majority will be pretty obvious, and let me know of anything that doesn't seem to fit.

·
Registered
111 Posts
It seems all the main wires such as pin 21 22 23 25 20 14 18 are all in correct place and connected, all others have been temporarily disconnected to eliminate any feedback from them causing a non start condition.

All it is doing is cranking and cranking, no signal from ecu to activate fuel pump relay nor are the injectrs recieving any pulsed earth to fire them either.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Been to the garage and tested the crank sensor, was showing no continuity so tested a new one i had at the other house, this showed 450ohms so swapped it out and it fired straight up... now thats that sorted can get it all tidied up tomorrow.

Thanks for the help..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok so ive no decided i MUST have a wire missing. i am getting a rpm signal to the clocks. also the temp gauge is 100% wired up correct and working.

now then the annoying bit! when the car is running i have to temp gauge. if i then turn it off, when i start the car it tells me the correct temp. so the only time it reads correctly is when i a cranking the engine over. grrrrrr! so i traced the 4wires from the sender. 2 go to the clocks, one goes to pin 10 on the ecu and the other i am unsure.
now when i was converting from ews3 to ews2 the pinout diagram for ews2 shows the green signal wire is supposed to go to pin 10 on the ecu?

any ideas? im really getting frustrated now.

thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
Where are you based mate? Pop round and il double check all your wiring as i just did this a few weeks back and all is working bang on as it should be.

·
Registered
111 Posts
In that case i cant see any reason why it wont fit, the last b3 i saw was based on the 328 also. When putting the chassis number into etk it came up with 328 also

1 - 20 of 34 Posts