BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

So the touring is back on the road now and I've taken it out for a few good runs in city, B-road and motorway driving.

The engine seems to start and run fine until it is upto full operating temperature, when it starts to cut out intermittently.
Sometimes it just seems a bit hesitant on the throttle, other times it loses power completely for a second or two.
At idle it runs fine 90% of the time but will randomly stutter as if its about to stall then rev up and idle normally again. This only seems to happen when the engine is hot, and the loss of power occurs most frequently and severely when driving at speed. Its pretty awful on the motorway but not too bad at urban speeds.
It tends to stall after over running with no throttle for a period, for example stopping after descending a long hill or slip road, but usually restarts ok.

The engine light is not on, there is no smoke, engine temp normal, oil and coolant levels normal, plenty of fuel in the tank etc.
At first I thought maybe there was some water in the fuel tank or air in the fuel lines but wouldn't explain why its only noticeable when the engine is hot.... :confused

Any advice here would me much appreciated!

I am aware of a slight fuel leak from the number 3 injector which is on the must fix list, but that in its self wouldn't cause intermittent loss of power and stalling would it?

·
Registered
12 Posts
hazard a guess its your egr valve not closing. possibly stuck open. this would effect running of car when it gets hot. or could be temp sensor.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had EGR problems with my old Rover diesel and the symptoms were similar but by contrast only happened when the engine was cold.

Is there any way I can test the EGR valve theory without removing the valve first?

·
Registered
12 Posts
the carbon deposit build up could be stopping the valve closing. the pipe feeding it could be heavily carbonised also. l dont know how to test without it being off. maybe see if there is anything on youtube on how to?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the EGR assembly off this afternoon. Tested its operation and gave it a good clean, all ok.
The cutting out problem is still the same.

However I noticed today that the DDE light occasionally flashes on very briefly then goes off again. Blink and you'll miss it.
This makes me think the problem is electrical in nature rather than mechanical.

Am I correct in thinking if the DDE light has come on, a diagnostic check will show up a fault code?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts