BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all, just wondering if anyone has done this, (im guessing so as they sell specially made boxes to fit in the ski hatch on ebay) anyway my question is as i hardly ever use my boot would it be the easier just mounting the sub on some 18mm mdf in the ski hatch or fitting one of these boxes that cost around 80 notes. sub will be facing into the cabin either way . sub wise im looking at the kicker solobaric 8" or a jl audio 8" round.

thanks

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
when you say putting it on 18mm mdf, you mean no box? so the back of the sub is just pointing in to the boot?

you wont be able to do that with a normal sub, a sub works off of the pressure created by the sealed box to get the boom otheriwse it flaps

A free air sub, is a sub that baffles off of its self so it dosent need a box and can be mounted how you want

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah yeah that's what I thought , I knew I'd seen subs free of boxes before , will be a dear option for maybe a small sub that can't reach the levels of dubstep and grime that I like , Maybe a 12" boxed sub in the boot with the ski hatch removed might work better , any suggestions , Iv got about 250-300 I can waste on some bass, are these active all in one jobs any good , last system I had was two alpine type r 12" running off a Rockford mono 500 , and I thought that was the decent ,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Scrap all that I said lol , just spotted u have already done it but with the free air subyour on about , what are they like ?
What sort of music do you use it for , may copy your way as I could do with keeping as much boot as possible ,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
little heads up i just bought , my gear so should be here soon, JL audio 10" W3v3-4 4ohm and a kenwood KAC8104D mono block 100w amp so should work well together,spent a bit more than initally set out to do but i wanted a smooth looking chunky sub and a W7 was just a bit too much .

Imgoing to run the sub free air as it can be used as that for a while if it doesnt satisfy me then il put a sealed box around the ski hatch .

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
hello, i wasnt online last night,

it sounds quite good, bass it punchy, listen to garage and dub step

yes that is a good option, mount it in air, then build a box arround it if needed

once you have it all mounted the box behind it will be easy :)

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm hoping so lol, my only worry is the sub like urs also being 10" looks like a tight squeeze when mounted between seats , il be cutting away a little of the foam so I can get a slightly bigger piece of mdf in by adding a few mm to the ski hatch piece I cut out today .
Don't think my seats fold so it's gonna be a bit more time consuming fitting the mdf panel ,

Also there slightly different a saloon from a vert as ur sub sits in that recess mine I guess will just be in the boot unless I do build a box around it ,

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hopefully by next weekend i should hopefully have it done. just need to source a piece of leather the same colour as my seats and wait for the kit to arive lol
il put some pics up once done unless i make a total **** of it

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
MY dad got my leather for me, he works for ford, so got the leather from there trim workshop, but obviously its not the a match, but the contrast looks good :) if you couldn't get a match you could use leather dye, like dynamix

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
iv seen a place on ebay called as-trim that have a near as damn it colour match called light orwell grey 1m x 1.4m for £25 that i might get even if it is far more than i need ,

going to try and get the wood plate made at work tonight(think i may have to mount the wood from behind the seats so a box will be easier to add in future plus when added with the sub is going to be over 1.5" thick ) then i can get on with fitting as the sub came today. so bought a CELSUS 840w premium wiring kit.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sam do you have any pics of the amps in the wheel well . think thats what im going to have to do now as my amp is slighty to big for were i wanted it over the battery

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice one , did u loose the spare wheel , think I can get away with keeping it just going to put a bolt on the spindle to hold that wood in place ,
Iv just got to get a nit of material today then I can get it running ,

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Nah the spare wheel is still in there, if you use connector crimps you can unplug it all so you can take it out if you need to get your spare out

i just drilled a hole in the wood for the spindle didnt bother with a nut

If you can fitt in in because your amps are to thick you could quickly and easily make a false floor, out of mdf and grey carpet,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
my amp is the same style as your one on the left but 810d mono , possibly going to get another depending on how it all comes together. i ended up getting the leather code from a mate who works for bmw, but as im impatient just bought some grey acoustic carpet lol . il post a pic up soon as its done,

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
All done pal it's rediculously loud Iv had to have the bass booster on the amp at no more than half way . I'm well impressed , can't put a pic up yet as Iv got the blue screen on my pc

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as promissed, dont think the carpet looks too bad now to be fair

as you can tell i got silly while measuring and useing a stanly blade i cocked up the trim a little but il live with it considering everything else looks fine

bit of a mess with wires but at least you cant see it

1 - 20 of 20 Posts