BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to everyone

Have a slight problem with my E46 330d, I've had the bushes changed I,ve had the bottom arms changed and the thing still likes to have a good old knock when going over speed bumps or just generally any road that's not billiard table smooth. Anyone have any suggestions

·
Registered
884 Posts
Ball joints?

Or perhaps anti-roll bar bushes.

Is it a rhythmic, repetitive knocking, or is it more like occasional, random, quite severe sounding knocks? If it's the latter, I'd be inclined to go for anti-roll bar bushes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah ball joints are all part of the lower arms on the E46 not a nice cheap fix like the E36 I used to have. Tends to love having a real good rythmic knock if you are driving down a country lane where the road is really uneven. I was even begining to think it might have a broken spring or the bushes on the top mount for the shock may be gone. Will change the anti roll bar bushes as I've changed every other bush bar those. Want to get the knocking sorted before I fit the coil overs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know to be fair took the car to the garage told them it was knocking and left it to them

·
Registered
884 Posts
Don't know to be fair took the car to the garage told them it was knocking and left it to them
OK, I'll bet now it's the anti-roll bar bushes. It's not the most obvious thing to go for when checking for knocking, so there's a good chance it's been missed, or not even checked.

Take the car back and make sure they actually take the car for a drive so they can hear the particular knock for themselves, rather than just replacing everything but the girl and charging you for it, and not fixing the problem! While you're at it, if that turns out to be the problem, complain about the above and see if you can sort yourself out a discount for future work.

And then slap them for being incompetent! :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Reading with interest, mines still knocking after doing the TCA polybushes.
Is it knocking over bumps, like its "topping out" sort of noise?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
will probably bush mine with poly bushes all round when i stick the coil overs on it has anyone got experience of polly bushes, was thinking power flex or pro flex

·
Registered
199 Posts
Have you had a look at your drop links Trouble? I ask, because I get a lot of knocking when driving over the smallest road imperfection, and the garage said it was my drop links. You can pick them up for around £10 each on ebay, so might be worth a change anyway

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yeah changed the drop links aswell as they looked worn when they changed everything else. It does sound like its topping out when you go over the slightest of bumps but its also the tram lining around when on an uneven road surface. Starting to be very annoying this problem

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
If you drive down the road and swerve the car side to side and get the knock then it will most likely be a/the anti roll bar links

·
Registered
691 Posts
Little bloke looked at mine today and said my arb bushes are shot. might be worth a look, theyre not expensive...:D

·
Registered
884 Posts
Little bloke looked at mine today and said my arb bushes are shot. might be worth a look, theyre not expensive...:D
Was it an oompa-loompa? I hear a couple of them work for the McLaren F-1 team since the sweetie factory shut down. :thumbsup

1 - 19 of 19 Posts