BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

New to the forums and bmw's:)

Just got myself a E46 328i and had the wipers on and after 40 mins of driving they have stopped working on any setting.

During the 10 min drive home they made 2 more sweps of the window but thats it, they didnt struggle or make any strange sounds also now they have stopped working the washer pump wont always work.

Have done a few searchs and they point to the wiper relay but cant find any info on where I can find it?

Not bad considering I've had the car less than 24hrs:eek

Cheers for any help I will get back to the search engine!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome :thumbsup

Yes check fuses in glove box 49,52,59 if i rember correctly but they did work for 2 sweeps after they stopped working so relay would sound the best bet.

Would this make the washer pump play up?

would I have to get a relay from BMW or are they a universal type of relay?

My sister owned the car before me and said shes never seen the problem before :confused

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The relay wouldn't make the washers play up, the stalk would though, may be worth getting the codes read for the body control module, there may be a code stored relating to the problem.

When you turn on the wipers and they don't move, is there any noises from them at all?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Will have a look at the wiper stalk today hopfully it can be removed without the steering wheel coming off

Theres no noises coming from the wipers when they are on (tryed with engine off to) and they cant be moved when they are in park

Read with relay they normally start working again so you could be onto somthing here with the stalk:thumbsup

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the same symptoms a couple of year ago Neil. Replaced the wiper relay and all good now :thumbsup. You will find it in the E-box located on the left bulk head of the engine bay. You will need an allen key to open the box, and the relay is located on it's own right at the back of the box.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It is no. 4 HERE. I didin't want to mess around with any after market relays, so bought one from the dealer. Cost me something like £9, but todays price is £11.85 :frown

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's the relay :thumbsup

Turned wipers on taped said relay with a screwdriver and it sprung into life.

Will get onto a dealer tomorrow morning

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.