BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My E46 coupé had problems with the key operating the central locking and alarm . After resetting both keys (the CL and alarm works) but now when I put the keys in the ignition the car doesn't start ( was working fine before keys were programmed) is the re-programming and non starting linked or are we looking at something else ? :confused

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
re-programmed keys / not turning over

I take it when you say won't start you mean not even turn over
Thats correct sorry about that, both keys will open and close the doors , but not sure if its a flat battery or a chip/transponder problem :confused

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How did you reprogram them and did they both work before ?
I put the key in for 5 seconds took it out pressed the unlock button and held it down whilst pressing the lock button 3 times , they did work before so not sure as to why they suddenly stopped. I was able to drive the car yesterday morning , even though CL was not working after I got the CL to work that's when the car wouldn't turn over . Hope that makes some sense, ??? thanks for the response

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea, they usually won't even try a lazy shunt, just absolutely nothing.
It's always worth a shot as so many people discount a flat battery as everything else works fine, it just seems like the starter has been immobilised.
have got the battery on charge just in case its flat , thanks for your help will update you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
All is good problem was a low voltage battery after charging car started first time. Good tip for anyone with a similar problem. By the way the key / fob re-program works well so long as the instructions are followed.. thanks to everyone who responded

·
Registered
229 Posts
All is good problem was a low voltage battery after charging car started first time. Good tip for anyone with a similar problem. By the way the key / fob re-program works well so long as the instructions are followed.. thanks to everyone who responded
just to add you have to resyn/reprogramme both working and non working key together in quick succession or you will find one key may not work.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts