BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, I was on my way back home from Leeds to Blackpool last night, and something terrible happened to my beloved E46. Cruising at around 40MPH, very suddenly the car started to make a clanking noise every wheel revolution. Like dumph dumph dumph, varying in frequency as the car changes speed. I deduced it was the rear right wheel. Each clank made the car jerk sharply (as if the wheel was being resisted then freed with each clank). I drove slowly, and the clanking varied in intensity. It eventually subsided, and i was left with a relatively quiet scraping/scratching noise. As i was manouvering my car into my drive at very low speed, the clank came back. it took a fair amount of force to get 'though' one of the clanks at low speed. the car dipped as if the rear right wheel had been temporarily locked off.

Please help me guys I love my car :(

Dan

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sounds strange, could possibly be an issue with your brake shoes. Several years back I had very similar symptoms to you with with a celica, it turned out to be an issue with the brake shoes being worn.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Well guys, I was on my way back home from Leeds to Blackpool last night, and something terrible happened to my beloved E46. Cruising at around 40MPH, very suddenly the car started to make a clanking noise every wheel revolution. Like dumph dumph dumph, varying in frequency as the car changes speed. I deduced it was the rear right wheel. Each clank made the car jerk sharply (as if the wheel was being resisted then freed with each clank). I drove slowly, and the clanking varied in intensity. It eventually subsided, and i was left with a relatively quiet scraping/scratching noise. As i was manouvering my car into my drive at very low speed, the clank came back. it took a fair amount of force to get 'though' one of the clanks at low speed. the car dipped as if the rear right wheel had been temporarily locked off.

Please help me guys I love my car :(

Dan
Have you had a chance to look around the wheel at all..............I would jack the car up, take off the wheel and you should be able to see what's wrong.................may be a broken coil spring, is there any damage to the arch?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
ill jack the car up and get the wheel off. what should i look for?
Have agood look at all the suspension componets i.e arm, damper, coil spring..........look for any damged parts check the hub (behind the wheel) and damage to the CV joint?

And just before you take the wheel-off- jack the car up grab the wheel at 12 o/clock and 6 oclock position and try and rock it back/forth.............if there is excess movement then your bearing is buggered mate.

Strange symptoms though???..............I would guess you have a prob with the suspension.........but have a butchers.....see what you find.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I drove it about 20 yards today and all the issues had dissapeared. could it be to do with the diff (heat related)? i have a few hi res pictures i can share with ya. ive uploaded them to rapidshare in a zip, just because of the resolution of them. should i take it for a drive? the problem has definately not rectified itself, it was very severe yesterday.

http://rapidshare.com/files/184226452/car_beef.zip.html

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ive taken it to a garage, they say it might be something to do with the cv joints, large amount of play. i hope this isnt expensive lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought some alloys shortly after getting my car and didn't notice that one of the tyres was a "run flat" tyre and it completely nackered my springs on the back.
So I would say spring/s gone. Mine went recently didn't have the sevre symtoms you had, just a small noise of metal hit metal, but still could be that. My bosses spring went on his 2002 Vauxhall and the spring tore straight through his tyre.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well guys, apparently something went wrong with the handbrake, some part went though a backplate and was rattling and knocking about causing all the grief. 100 quid and were done =]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts