BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a e46 bmw 328ci on a 1999 plate an have read some topics on resetting the oil service, an have just tried it but it didnt work. i followed the steps off her from another post about haveing the ignition off an holding the odometer then putting the ignition to position1, and after 5seconds you should have the words "oil change or inspection".... i have done this but i get "test" coming up instead. any ideas? i have tried a few times but with the same result.

i look forward to hearing from you ppl ..help lol...

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Please read the posting rules

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f18/bimmerforums-uk-forum-guidelines-t2342/

I have edited your title on this occasion but add

1999 E46 328ci - your meaningful title

next time please....

If you have followed the guide and cant get it to work

This applies to earlier e46 models. eg. 99-00 with OBDI. (a round connector for the diagnostic socket)

1. Locate the 20-PIN DLC Connector. It is located under the hood, passenger side empty compartment.

It looks like this.

2. Turn the key to position 2. key position before the engine start.

3. For OIL RESET, just ground PIN 7 and PIN 19 for 3 seconds.

4. For ENGINE SERVICE light, ground PIN 7 and PIN 19 for 9 seconds.

if that doesnt work or its not OBD1 then you may need to buy a Peak research tool (google it or search this forum...)

·
Registered
11 Posts
You have the older OBC commands just like mine. I'm afraid it requires a hard reset from the diagnostic port, so I would suggest getting a specific reset tool that won't break the bank. I have heard of people trying to reset using the 'pin short' method, but then running into problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Some OBCs may not work to the pin shorts and will leave the port in a 'floating' state (electronic term) where it won't respond until hooked up to Autologic or G1 test equipment.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.